Toilet lid dripping

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnesippi

Reaction score
Have a 1950's toilet.
Made repairs to overflow tube (too high and leaking out handle hole) and replaced flapper (had to hold handle down to flush). Those things are fine now
New issue - water dripping (very small amount) from under lid near (left front) handle.
Any idea what causes this and how do I trouble shoot or fix it?
Thanks in advance.

A pic right now would really help but I would suspect that water is spraying on the inside of the lid, then dripping down. Did you replace the fill valve? Did you secure the black tubing on top of the overflow tube?

Fluidmaster 400a.jpg

I did not replace fill valve.
Aside from the flapper, all other hardware is original. Fittings are all brass. I will check the the tube, but the toilet fills from the bottom, not yhe tube. I will get a picture up this afternoon.
Thanks

Here are pics.
Yes, the inside is gross. Well water.
Additionally, we have both hot and cold lines connected to this toilet.

20160913_070328.jpg

20160913_070355.jpg

Nothing sprays. Which is part of why I am so confused.
It fills from the bottom, not the fill hose like I am used to.

Your level seems about 1" too high. It is possible you are getting a splash of water as the water reaches the top of the overflow tube. I would replace that old fill valve and ball type float. They are prone to sticking and wasting lots of water.

My water level is below the water line that is stamped in the tank (although t wasnt a few months ago)
I teated again last night with the lid off to watch for any spraying and there is none. Could it just be condensation? Its about 68° in the house. The outside of the tank is dry.
A new toilet is on the list, but this has me quite puzzled. Ive never seen it before. Then again, Ive never seen brass fittings in one before either.

Back