Toilet keeps running, also what type of toilet is this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaluTulak

Reaction score
Hi, I fix what I can around the house myself and have fixed a few toilets but I need help with this one.

This toilet keeps running and stopping, running and stopping, etc. I've cleaned the rubber flapper itself and at the point that it contacts the reservoir, so I don't think it's leaking from there and I've watched all the korky fill valve videos, nada. Any help would be amazing!

Also, can someone explain to me why the previous owner stuck the fill tube into an actual tube and stuck it in that hole? What does that hole do? I don't want to mess with something I didn't set up to begin with. There are also holes in the back of the toilet that allows the water to overflow behind the toilet?

Any and all help is appreciated but please keep in mind that I don't know all the plumbing lingo.

I attached multiple pictures as well.

Thanks in advanced!

Attachments

• IMG_7616.jpg
    IMG_7616.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7605.jpg
    IMG_7605.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7606.jpg
    IMG_7606.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7607.jpg
    IMG_7607.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Look behind the toilet seat on the bowl there could be a name there, there are # tinted or stamped into your tank, that's how you get exact replacement parts, is the water level in the tank higher than the over flow,press down on the flapper if it stops filling its probably the flapper

That’s a one piece toilet with the wrong parts.

Best fix : replace the entire toilet.

Look behind the toilet seat on the bowl there could be a name there, there are # tinted or stamped into your tank, that's how you get exact replacement parts, is the water level in the tank higher than the over flow,press down on the flapper if it stops filling its probably the flapper
There is no name printed in that spot above the where the seat is bolted and if there was it must have rubbed out and I couldn't find a name anywhere else, I looked all over this thing. There are some numbers etched into the inside of the tank as well as a date.

Let me give it a more thorough lookover.

The water level is higher than the overflow - maybe I'll stop by and pick up a new flapper, doesn't hurt to have one anyway.

Thanks!

That’s a one piece toilet with the wrong parts.

Best fix : replace the entire toilet.
lol I love your fix but we aren't ready to buy a new one yet, I just want this to hold us over util we remodel the bathroom in a year or two- if possible.

I hope I'm not asking too much if I ask you to explain by what you mean by the wrong parts? And do you know what that hole is that the pipe is leading to?

That toilet takes specific parts. You’d have to identify the toilet before you can buy the parts for it.

The correct parts likely and often cost as much as a new toilet.

Leave it like it is or replace the toilet is my professional and final advice.

Its a Kohler K-3397 San Raphael. Like twowax said somebody put the wrong parts in it at some point.

Here's a link to the correct parts kit

I personally would put the money towards a better toilet. As you can see the parts are expensive and proprietary to that series of toilet that is discontinued.

Back