Toilet Flange Replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwa

Reaction score
1. Do I need to also cut out the lower floor?
flange.png

2. I removed the rusted toilet flange steel ring. Is the two piece replacement ring a good solution? The black toilet flange would be free floating and not secured.
Toilet-Flange-Repair-Ring-600.jpg

The ring is what holds the WC in place. The ring needs to be secured to the floor. Split is not as strong as single ring. Go with stainless steel.

What holds the black ABS pipe? The black ABS pipe has some movement.

Not likely anything mechanical holds the ABS pipe. The flange is the secure and vital component. Flange normally holds the pipe secure. Then under the floor is whatever construction method was utilized. ABS pipe penetrating a concrete slab must be isolated with foam to allow it to be free of constraint.

1. Do I need to also cut out the lower floor?
flange.png

2. I removed the rusted toilet flange steel ring. Is the two piece replacement ring a good solution? The black toilet flange would be free floating and not secured.
Toilet-Flange-Repair-Ring-600.jpg
The rings shown are for broken plastic flanges that had the metal ring or part of the flange rust away or break. They slip under the plastic flange and must be secured to the floor or subfloor. Other options exist for rusted or broken cast iron flanges, but these are not specifically designed for that. The metal ring I'm referring to is part of the plastic flange itself and not a hub connection on a cast soil pipe.

Go ahead and cut the floor open and cut the old pipe off. Stub up a new 4” pipe then install all the sub-flooring and finished flooring.

Cut 4” pipe off flush with finished floor and install a new inside the pipe stainless flange and anchor through the finished flooor and into the subfloor.

You’re almost already at that point with some of the floor cut out, may as well finish it.

The rings shown are for broken plastic flanges that had the metal ring or part of the flange rust away or break. They slip under the plastic flange and must be secured to the floor or subfloor. Other options exist for rusted or broken cast iron flanges, but these are not specifically designed for that. The metal ring I'm referring to is part of the plastic flange itself and not a hub connection on a cast soil pipe.

The toilet flange originally was attached to the plastic pipe as pictured below. The metal rusted out.

The two piece repair kit does not attach to the plastic pipe. Should the two piece repair piece be anchored to the plastic pipe?

1702156600311.png

That is correct the split ring only replaces the metal ring shown in this photo which can rust away. It only repairs that part of the flange and must be anchored.
This kit does not make any connection to the pipe itself only to the flange. The plastic part of the flange sits on the small shoulder of the inner portion of the flange and does not directly attach to the soil pipe.

This is the one piece replacement ring. Is it correct to place this ring on top of the ABS pipe?

1702257688618.png

Latest posts

Back