Toilet flange help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisyflower

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently removed my old pvc flange that was glued in place from my pvc pipe in my concrete slab. When I dry fitted the new flange into the drain there was a very small amount of "play" between the two-they were not totally snug.

I went ahead and primed and concreted thinking the concrete would be thick enough to fill this "gap" (I have never used pvc glue before). Well there is still a small gap between my flange and drain that I can feel when I run my fingers where the flange and drain meet. Of course one side of my flange is super tight where it is pressed into the drain. The other side wiggles a little and the wall of the flange and of the drain are not next to each other--no bond from the glue.

So my question is do I need to cut and chip out the new flange I installed and put in a different one? Was it a manufacturing issue with the flange I bought just not quite being thick enough. I think I bought the right size the standard 3x4 flange to go inside a 4 inch drain.

I am concerned about septic gas or water leaking out of this gap. Gap at the largest is just under 1/4 inch is my guess from feeling with my fingers.

Thanks so much for your advice in advance!

Can you post some pictures.
Are you using a 4" flange over 4" pipe?
a 3" will sometime fit inside the 4" pipe

Here is a photo. The size on the flange says CF4x3. It is made by Sioux chief mfg

1473300640955-1983727235.jpg

I went ahead and primed and concreted thinking the concrete would be thick enough to fill this "gap" (I have never used pvc glue before). Well there is still a small gap between my flange and drain that I can feel when I run my fingers where the flange and drain meet. Of course one side of my flange is super tight where it is pressed into the drain. The other side wiggles a little and the wall of the flange and of the drain are not next to each other--no bond from the glue.

So my question is do I need to cut and chip out the new flange I installed and put in a different one? Was it a manufacturing issue with the flange I bought just not quite being thick enough. I think I bought the right size the standard 3x4 flange to go inside a 4 inch drain.

I am concerned about septic gas or water leaking out of this gap. Gap at the largest is just under 1/4 inch is my guess from feeling with my fingers.

Thanks so much for your advice in advance!

You said Concrete??? ^^

1/4" is a big gap so something not right I think I kind of sort of maybe understand what you are describing. you glued the flange inside the closetbend.
The closet bend coming up through the floor is the same size as 4"pipe.
3" hub closet flange is designed to glue onto 3" pipe BUT the outside diameter of that hub is a little less than the inside diameter of the 4" pipe. It not alwasys a tight fit but 1/4" gap, you have the wrong flange. I sometimes anchor the flange into the concrete or floor if possible

I would peel the new flange off. start over
Was the original flange glued to the outside of the pipe?

I meant pvc cement, not concrete-whoops!

The gap might be 1/8 inch ,I'm not positive. It is big enough where the primer and glue did not seem to weld the flange and drain together on the left side (if you are looking at my photo). It is still tight, just a little wiggle if I am trying.

The original was glued to the inside as well-I chipped it off after sawing just through the flange itself and not unto the drain itself.

I held the old one up to the new flange at it seemed to be the same size. The inside diameter of the flange part that goes into the drain is about 3.5 inches. The outside diameter is a but larger due to the thickness of the flange wall (as you know).

The flange I bought said it is designed to be glued outside of a 3 inch pipe or inside of a 4 inch pipe.

Does that make more sense?

What about those flanges wig the rubber gasket-would that be better? I did not see another flange that would fit right-the otherso were definitely too small as in for 3 inch pipes I think.

Last edited:
I meant pvc cement, not concrete-whoops!

Does that make more sense? Yes it does.

What about those flanges wig the rubber gasket-would that be better? . NO

what wiggles? the flange or the whole drain? if it 's the drain, pour some fast set cement ( like ROCKITE ) around the drain if there is a gap in the concrete and drainpipe. if it'she flange then you need to fix it. needs to be solid, no woiggle

Last edited:
The flange itself wiggles ever so slightly if I am pressing it pretty hard. The wiggle doesn't bother me, it's just the small what I think is a gap that makes me nervous about gases etc. I cannot even see the gap of course-it is all be feel.

If I cut out this one and started over I would probably end up using another one of the same flanges because it seems to be the "right" size that I can find in a store. My house is from 1993 so nothing really old or strange with the plumbing size I don't think.

I'm not sure if it would be worth it as long as the water isn't leaking?

What do you think? What other flange could I buy? Is it possible the one I got just was a little off?

Also, is wax ring still best or do any of the new wax alternatives work?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
Back