Toilet fills up with water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcomo

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for any help.
Toilet in a half bath filled up with water and when I plungered it, it began leaking from the was seal. We called a plumber who took us to the proverbial cleaners. He removed the toilet and power augered the line ($450) and reset the toilet ($200) last Friday and it's worked except this morning, it's doing the same thing. We also had the septic tank pumped Monday so it's not that. This toilet is upstairs; there's another bathroom downstairs and we have no problem with that toilet. There's a third toilet upstairs which also has no problem. The line to the toilet in the half bath runs about 30 feet before it meets the stack where it is joined by the line from the other upstairs toilet.
I don't want to spend another $650 to have the line augered again and I really don't think that's the problem. The only other thing I can imagine is that maybe the vent line is plugged. There's a sink that also drains to the same line as the problem toilet and it drains OK except that as it drains, we see bubbles coming up from the toilet.
Any ideas?
Thanks for listening.
Ted

Did the plumber use a full size head when he augered the line?

It sounds as though there is a clog in the line that only got partially cleared when it was augered, and has now collected more toilet paper etc to completely clog again. This can happen if a small auger head was used that only poked a hole through the stoppage.

Did the plumber give any kind of warranty?

Reactions: SHR
The head on the auger seemed to be about 2 inches in size. Is that full sized? It took him about 15 minutes to clear the line. I checked the bill and while he listed a one-year warranty on the seal in resetting the toilet, he listed "0" warranty on cleaning the line.
So I guess I need yet another plumber to come out but it sure won't be this company. I don't suppose it would do any good for me to run a snake through the toilet and into the line?

When I clean a line, I always try to finish with a head that is very close in size to the interior diameter of the pipe, and work it back and forth on the way in and on the way back out. So in a typical 3" line serving a bathroom, I would use a cutter with an outside diameter of at least 2 1/2".

Reactions: SHR
Because of the way a cable moves thru the pipe, I wouldn't be too concerned about the head he used, but more the size cable he used.

When the cable goes thru the pipe, it's more of a whip action then just spinning inside the pipe. The cable will follow the walls, instead of just spinning on the bottom.

Did he check the toilet trap to see if there was anything lodged in there? A camera inspection might be your next step.

Back