Toilet and sink supply line shutoff valves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMeyer

Reaction score
I just paid a bundle to have my shower rebuilt after it leaked and ruined the hardwood flooring in my bedroom. I've been told it is a good idea to also replace old shutoff valves around the house, which is 35 years old. I have not replaced any valves yet, but they appear to be the type that use compression rings. I am planning to replace all the valves with quarter-turn ball valves that also use compression rings. Should I pull and replace the compression rings or just use the existing ones? Lowes also seems to sell Sharkbite valves--should I consider using those instead of the type that use compression rings? Thanks for any helpful advice!

Sometimes the washer stays inside the valve. Get a dental pick and a flashlight to get it out with. Sometimes the washer will break into pieces, just pick it out.

it’s easy, it’s straightforward, no tricks.

Thanks for your help! Is it a good idea for me to rebuild all of them, even if they are not leaking, since the washers are probably brittle after 35 years? I will replace all of the supply lines also.

Thanks for your help! Is it a good idea for me to rebuild all of them, even if they are not leaking, since the washers are probably brittle after 35 years? I will replace all of the supply lines also.
Yes, do them all.
The washers get hard over time and when you turn them off the washers cracks up into pieces. This can clogged the fixture....

The packings dry out too and leak at the nut behind the handle.

I buy new stop valves and just rob the guts. I throw the brass body in my scrap bin.

I’ve literally rebuilt thousands of them over the years.

Latest posts

Back