Tips For Working Under A Deep Kitchen Sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any tips for working under a deep kitchen sink? Several years ago I had to replace a sprayer hose and it was a struggle. The sprayer hose connection did not swivel so the entire hose had to rotate as I tightened it. Also, I didn't have an open end ratcheting wrench and had to keep repositioning it as the swing space was limited. I bought a set of ratcheting wrenches the next day. The hose is leaking again....haven't checked to see if it just loosened or the hose itself has split. It's a Rohl and pricey. The hose is braided....I would have thought it would have lasted more than a few years. I'm not looking forwarded to getting under there again and hoping somebody has some good ideas other than hiring somebody else to do the work.

Last edited:
Any sink with limited access can be a bear.

Sometimes I have had to remove the disposal and drain to get back up in behind the sink.

My trick is to find the smallest helper we have and have him crawl under there.��

I'm fairly thin (145 lbs) anybody smaller would be one of the kids. I have them rotate the hose while I tighten the connection. Would have been nice if the connection swiveled instead of the entire thing rotating at the same time.

My trick is to find the smallest helper we have and have him crawl under there.��

And hope he isn't claustrophobic.

I had a sprinkler system installed in my yard. The control line came into the garage at ground level. The plumber was going to do the hook up to the control box and wanted to run the line along the wall at floor level. I asked if he would run the line up the wall, across the open rafters, and back down the wall to the control box located half way up the wall. The plumber did not want to do this and said he always ran them on the garage floor. To run the line up the wall and across the rafters required the use of a step ladder. Finally the plumber said that he was uncomfortable climbing a ladder. I told him not to be ashamed to let people know this and told him I would do the ladder work. Not sure why people are reluctant to say if they have a fear of heights or are claustrophobic.

I was that guy.

Now I'm the lead hand.....and I'm still that guy
:mad:

You could always think of it as job security.

Serious question. Is there a mini version of a basin wrench for working under there when you have to reach behind the sink?

Last edited:
I'm fairly thin (145 lbs) anybody smaller would be one of the kids. I have them rotate the hose while I tighten the connection. Would have been nice if the connection swiveled instead of the entire thing rotating at the same time.

That's a poor design with Rohl pullout kitchen faucets, no swivel. I have a customer that has blown 2 hoses in 2 years due to the hose twisting itself up during everyday use.

That's a poor design with Rohl pullout kitchen faucets, no swivel. I have a customer that has blown 2 hoses in 2 years due to the hose twisting itself up during everyday use.

The first one last 3 years. I called the manufacturer and the hose is very expensive. With the braiding it looks like it should last forever. The upside is that if you have the paperwork they will provide a replacement under warranty. The downside is having to install it while twisting the whole thing. The really downside is doing this under a deep sink.

Just received a new hose from Rohl. Hose has been redesigned due to the many problems that have been reported to them. Hopefully they got it right this time.

Latest posts

Back