Temporary backup in sink and shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carmeljacques

Reaction score
When I initially run the water in my bathroom sink it will sometimes (not always) start to fill the sink and then, after it gets about 2 inches deep, the water drains normally (with the water still running) and the sink empties. I recently replaced the p-trap and cleaned out the opening where the trap goes into the wall. I have a similar problem with my stall shower drain (same bathroom). Sometimes when I start the shower I get standing water in the shower (maybe an inch) and then the water recedes and the shower base empties and drains normally for the duration of the shower. My house is on a septic system but I had the tank pumped earlier this year and don't think that's the problem because my other sinks function normally. I'm baffled by this and hope somebody who is a better plumber than I am (not a high bar) knows why this is happening. More importantly, how do I fix this problem? Thanks for you help.

Back