Tank Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate15442

Reaction score
So I have owned this home for almost 3 yrs. Never had any issues till I noticed last week water in yard coming up like a spring with all this grimy soot like substance all over. So I started asking questions and its obviously the leech bed? So I know the tanks havnt been pumped out since I have lived here and honestly never educated myself on septic systems. I know mistake....So I find out they have not been cleaned out since like 1990 but there was really nobody using system for a long while till I purchased this house. So I call to have them cleaned out. That's when I find out I need to dig to get to tank covers. Well I dug out tank 1 and cleared out the cover for it and dug out tank 2 and when I got to cover on tank 2 it was obvious to me there was a problem. The cover was not lying flat and I noticed it was broken in 2 spots where clearly dirt, mud whatever can get into tank. From what I understand the 2 tank is for liquid and clearly it was full of more than just that. The company told me they can suck both tanks out no problem but what should I do about cover for tank 2? Since I already have yard dug up and exposed I would really like to be able to install risers on the 2 tanks so I don't have to dig up my yard every 3-5yrs. But ultimately there is clearly now a problem with leech bed also. The reason I started doing this anyway cause I noticed it. There is no back up problems, everything still drains well even with the tanks not cleaned yet. Which they are coming to do tomoro. Any suggestions on what I should do with either creating risers or just making a new cover for the tank? And should I dig some more and locate piping for leech field and see if there are any issues I might be able to take care of? The tanks I was told were 2 500gal cement tanks. They appear to be round?

There are a few options for a lid in this case. All lids should be above grade. You can go with concrete risers and caps or there are some manufacturers out there who make adapter flanges so you can use plastic. Polylok is one of them.
As far as the tank, if it was not used in a while there is a chnce that the sludge in the bottom may have hardened over time and could cause problems also. But I am sure if you got a reputable company to pump the tank they also inspected and power washed it also.
Have them inspect the leach bed if you are having issues with drain field flooding.

Thanks for the reply. I uploaded some photos. They are gonna be here within the hour to clean them out and I guess I will see what happens and take it from there.........

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

Oh yeah, you are packed full.... please ask if they pressure wash it as well and inspect for cracks. Surprised that it wasn't inspected upon sale. You also could have a bad baffle tee.

And for the integrity of your drain field, those lids need to come up above grade.

It was sucked out and cleaned. Tanks seem to be fine. He thinks I should inspect piping and leech bed because that pipe that goes out into leech bed is still a terracotta pipe and hes betting that's all that is ran out there? He also told me I could get cement risers that you can seal to the top of tank and that way I'm above grade for cleanout next time. He called these crocks and if I'm lucky they might hold maybe 90gal of liquid each? Said it was a very old set up but should be good just need to clean them out every 2 yrs instead of waiting 3-5? So I called a place that sells those risers and they told me they come 30in round and there was no need to seal them on top because they go all the way around tank and I just center the riser over hole and then just backfill it in? Should I try to find a better riser that I can actually seal to top or just dig out enough around tank so riser sets down a bit around the tank and go that route? Also if I start digging up the pipe for leech bed and find it is still intact? Or should I just dig that all up anyway and redo the whole bed?

Those 30" risers should be good. Don't forget the lids, they are usually separate. At this point dig up the leach bed and if it is really terracotta replace it. I would have someone that is familiar with septic systems (different than tank cleaning) to come give you some options. I am in NOVA so codes here and techniques differ place to place.

He also told me I could get cement risers that you can seal to the top of tank and that way I'm above grade for cleanout next time. He called these crocks and if I'm lucky they might hold maybe 90gal of liquid each? Said it was a very old set up but should be good just need to clean them out every 2 yrs instead of waiting 3-5?

So I called a place that sells those risers and they told me they come 30in round and there was no need to seal them on top because they go all the way around tank and I just center the riser over hole and then just backfill it in?

:confused:

Should I try to find a better riser that I can actually seal to top or just dig out enough around tank so riser sets down a bit around the tank and go that route? Also if I start digging up the pipe for leech bed and find it is still intact? Or should I just dig that all up anyway and redo the whole bed?

Here- http://www.septicsystemsaver.net/septic-tank-riser-kits/

Latest posts

Back