swimming pool t join crack

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fartinkarol

Reaction score
I have a crack in my swimming pool PVC plumbing. I took a picture for a better description. The crack is highlighted in red and I want to replace the Tee Joint. For now, I sealed it with some home depot stretching tape (for leaks?) and the leak isn't as bad. I'm thinking of cutting the pipe where I highlighted in blue. My question is on the top portion of the tee joint, is that enough pipe to put a new fitting on? The top portion of pipe is 3/4''. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
img8854p.jpg

IMG_8854.jpg

I wouldn't try to put a fitting on that, thats a little close.

Is that bypass valve threaded? If so that solves everything.

If you cut out what you have marked and try and re assemble, everything will be offset.

I just had a similar problem with my pool valves just a few weeks ago. I tried to save as much of the old fittings as possible, but it was just too frustrating and as said above, very offset and unreliable. I cut it all out and replaced with new fittings. It was only a few dollars more, and I now know the fittings will last a long time without any future trouble.

havasu said:
I just had a similar problem with my pool valves just a few weeks ago. I tried to save as much of the old fittings as possible, but it was just too frustrating and as said above, very offset and unreliable. I cut it all out and replaced with new fittings. It was only a few dollars more, and I now know the fittings will last a long time without any future trouble.

Thats the answer right there. Just redo all of it now. more then likely you will be doing it twice if you attempt to fix half of it. just take your time make a good parts list and make a day of it.

You can cut the tee out and they make a tool that is not very expensive that will cut the PVC pipe out of the other fittings. Then you can install new pipe into the old fittings. IT works very well.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxyIczyIlBM[/ame]

John

Any way I look at it, the whole assembly will need to be cut out. There is no room to flex the piping to make up the new joints. When you redo it, try to leave some more room in between the fittings in case you have more problems in the future.

phishfood said:
Any way I look at it, the whole assembly will need to be cut out. There is no room to flex the piping to make up the new joints. When you redo it, try to leave some more room in between the fittings in case you have more problems in the future.

Lets say he was able to ream the inside of the 90. then you could face the new tee upward and use a configuration of 90s or st. 90s to hook back up.

A new fitting from the bypass valve? If so, how would I remove the fitting it its not threaded? Thanks for the replys so far!

I would not ream the old pipe out - you could set yourself up for other leaks from reaming ( old pipe - weak joints). cut it out and start over. cut the pipe with a hacksaw very carefully.

this is where i'm getting confused....where should i start cutting everyone out brand new? Will i need new valves?

If the valve does not have threaded connections so that you can reuse it, I would let well enough alone until you can get your hands on replacements, then replace the whole setup.

Latest posts

Back