Sweating joints

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcride

Reaction score
A question I have. I would say I do a decent job of sweating joints, they are fairly clean and I use map gas and can do a joint pretty fast without overheating etc... One area I have always questioned is how much solder do you use and how do you know!

When you heat up the fittings, get the solder to start flowing, it "sucks" around the joint, and I normally do a half circle swipe but always question, is that enough? Then before I know it there is a glob dripping off the joint :(

Also are you suppose to wipe the join immediately after you sweat it ?

Generally, once it drips out of the hub, that means the hub is full. As you get more experience and want to do more clean looking joints without runs, you can gauge it by looking at the joint and see that it's sealed all the way around with a thick bead of solder. Also, I wait for my solder to solidify before I wipe the joint, but if I get a gob of solder or a run I will wipe it off while its hot.

If you really wanna see if your technique works, solder something then take it apart to see how far your solder flows.

It doesn't take much solder to make a good joint. I am guilty of adding to much. I been soldering for over 30 yrs and some of my joints I am embarrassed to claim them as mine. :cool:

1/2" joint only needs about 1/2" of solder.

when you start soldering 1" and larger the technique starts to change.
The important thing is, don't get it to hot or you burn the flux and ruin the joint.

I don't use map gas on 1/2" or 3/4" either. In tight spots it's too easy to over heat, and I hate the burnt look that gets left behind on the fitting.

thank you both! Yea I always wanted to cut a cross section afterwards. Maybe I'll do that.

Back