Sump pump with electronic controls?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpns

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendation for a sump pump (around 1/3 HP is fine) with electronic controls? Ideally I'd like something that could fire up once in a while (every few hours? Once a day?) and if it detects that it's pumping water, continue till the water stops. Lots of 12Vboat bilge pumps that do this, but that's a whole nother nightmare.

This is for a couple of seasonal lakes that are a mosquito breeding ground after heavy rains, so they tend to grow roots which clog the pumps when I actually need them, and then I'm on a safari into the swamp with clouds of mosquitoes to unclog the pump.

I'm finding some options at sumppumpsdirect.com that have electronic water sensors, which isn't _exactly_ what I'm looking for, but would appreciate any recommendations for ones to look for or avoid.

I _could_ roll my own controller plus current meter, but while bespoke electronics are _fun_, so is COTS. 8*)

Thanks!

Could you put your sump pump on a timer and have it come on and off whenever you want it too. Probably
cheaper too.

Unfortunately, the two common failure modes seem to be failed float switches and impellers clogged with roots.

To reduce the roots problem, I want the pump to come on once or twice a day for maybe a minute (not enough to heat up if there's no water to pump).

To eliminate the float switch problem, I want to measure the power drawn by the pump when it comes on, and if it's above a threshold, keep running till the power consumption drops (when it runs out of water).

I've found some Shelly Pro PM Ethernet-interfaced power measurement and control devices that mount on DIN rails, and I've got a couple on order to see how they do. Of course, there'll be a Linux computer (*) doing the timing, monitoring, and control, but I've got most of the software modules already, so it's not hard, it's just custom, and I'm on the critical path. 8*)

(*) Should be a Raspberry Pi, but those are hard to come by, so might be Inovato or something.

Back