Sump pump bubbling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cctix

Reaction score
Hi all- I am in a unit with a Zoeller M53 sump pump. There are two issues with it: running frequently, and intense bubbling in the discharge after running.

The travel on the float is very limited, around 1in. So, when it triggers, it only runs for about 5 seconds. Any easy ways to adjust this?

The main issue is that after it's done running, the discharge pipe bubbles/gargles for about two minutes. It's so intense & loud that you can feel each bubble throughout the house, like someone walking up and down stairs.

The discharge is vertical, through a check valve, and then horizontal or slightly sloped over a basement bedroom, and then back down vertical into a drain outside that I cannot see. A weephole was recently added but had no impact.

What could be causing this? How can I verify it and get it fixed?

Thanks so much in advance

The specs on that pump have a on/off of the switch float of 7-1/4" (18.4 cm) / 3" (7.6 cm). I don't think that is adjustable. So, if ypur pump is coming on and going off in a 1" span versus the spec of 4-1/4", then something is wrong with the switch or linkage.

What are the dimensions of your discharge piping? How high is the check valve from the pump, how far does the pipe go above the pump before it turns horizontal, how far horizontal does it go and is it continuously sloped to the outlet outside your house, and do you know the final discharge point of the piping (what it goes into and what the elevation is relative to the pump.)?

The check valve could be bad chattering and letting water flow back into the pit.

Hi all- I am in a unit with a Zoeller M53 sump pump. There are two issues with it: running frequently, and intense bubbling in the discharge after running.

The travel on the float is very limited, around 1in. So, when it triggers, it only runs for about 5 seconds. Any easy ways to adjust this?

The main issue is that after it's done running, the discharge pipe bubbles/gargles for about two minutes. It's so intense & loud that you can feel each bubble throughout the house, like someone walking up and down stairs.

The discharge is vertical, through a check valve, and then horizontal or slightly sloped over a basement bedroom, and then back down vertical into a drain outside that I cannot see. A weephole was recently added but had no impact.

What could be causing this? How can I verify it and get it fixed?

Thanks so much in advance
Could be a bad check valve also make sure the pump is below the inlet pipes in the basin

I remember a problem like this , upon further investigation the sump pit was too small it only held 5 gallons. we removed that pitt and installed a 24 x 24 inch pitt so that when the pump did click on it ran for longer . I do like that pump it was my go to and i always carried one in my truck

Latest posts

Back