sulphur smell when a large volume of water drains

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pam

Reaction score
I am getting a sulphur smell in my basement only when a large amount of water drains through the pipes. No odor from flushing toilets or shower or washing dishes. I smell it when I do laundry and when someone takes a bath. Ptrap looks good. Floor drains are fine. Septic was cleaned end of 2018. The odor seems to be strongest in the sump pump basin. Any ideas?

I am getting a sulphur smell in my basement only when a large amount of water drains through the pipes. No odor from flushing toilets or shower or washing dishes. I smell it when I do laundry and when someone takes a bath. Ptrap looks good. Floor drains are fine. Septic was cleaned end of 2018. The odor seems to be strongest in the sump pump basin. Any ideas?

Is the basin sealed with a lid that has a gasket ?

No the sump pump pump basin isn't really sealed. It has a paver sitting on top of it, but isn't a solid seal. It has been like that for 15 years with no problems/odors

Dump some bleach into the fixtures that tie into the sump pump, let it sit for a while, put your washing machine on clean cycle use bleach there too
Thanks. I did put bleach in the sump pump basin but haven't tried the fixtures yet.

No the sump pump pump basin isn't really sealed. It has a paver sitting on top of it, but isn't a solid seal. It has been like that for 15 years with no problems/odors
There’s your problem.

I don’t know why it just started.

But I do know that sewage basins stink and should be sealed.

sorry I wasn't more clear. It is not a sewage basin. I have a septic system. This is a large floor drain, very common in my area to capture snow run off and spring rains. It does not have any odor, and does have a bit of water in it. It only has an odor after laundry or bath drains.

sorry I wasn't more clear. It is not a sewage basin. I have a septic system. This is a large floor drain, very common in my area to capture snow run off and spring rains. It does not have any odor, and does have a bit of water in it. It only has an odor after laundry or bath drains.

A washing machine or a bath shouldn’t affect a ground water drain.

It sounds like some of your sewage system is connected to your storm/ground water drains.

Last edited:
Back