Sulfur/Chemical taste/smell from 1 sink only?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgaviator

Reaction score
We have 1 particular sink in our basement bathroom that when you first run the water for the day, or at night if it hasn't been running for a few hours, that the water smells sulfury and very nasty tasting. If you let it run for 10 seconds, it tastes fine. It is only this 1 sink though that does this.....no sulfur smell from the showers, or other sinks. What is happening? We have well-water.
Thanks

Bgaviator, Get two tall glasses, fill one with cold water and the other with hot from the problem faucet. smell each glass of water to determind if the problem is on the hot or cold side. How often is this sink used ? Is there a seperate water heater that serves this sink only ? Are there any in-line water filters to this faucet?

The smell and taste comes from the cold water side only. That seems really strange to me. The cold water inlet is down further than the hot water, so the supply line is a longer tube. Could the plastic from the tube be leeching into the water that is in the line, and thus why it goes away if you run the water for a few seconds?

And the sink is used multiple times a day. This smell and taste will reappear it seems if the sink hasn't been touched in only just a few hours.

bgaviator, the problem could very well be your cold water supply line. poly tubing can react with well water. I have ran to this on a couple occasion with moen faucets. I replaced the supply line and it took care of the problem.

Back