Submersible pump keeps shutting off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butch

Reaction score
About to go in the hole with a brand new 1 HP, 10/12 gallon Zoeller pump, two wire.

Pulled old pump. Giving it a test to make sure it's done before installing the new one. Old pump is only about 3 years old. In a big container of water. For testing, pump is wired straight to 250V power and grounded.

Full power to the pump is confirmed with analog meter.

Pump cuts on and starts pumping, but then pump ing stops and the just hums a bit then shuts down entirely.

Something is tripping the overload I think. Motor part of pump gets warm pretty fast.

Question to anyone willing to hazard a reply:

Any suggestions to troubleshoot this problem?

I'd like to avoid installing the new pump and save that money. But my water has been out for several days and I need to get water running asap.

I'll need about an hour from this post time to repair some damage to my black plastic coil line before installing or not installing new pump.

Any recommendations on whether to continue to troubleshoot old pump welcome if you can holler back right away. Otherwise I'm going ahead with the new pump and the heck with the old.

Hint: My initial problem with old pump was not the pump itself but was a leak in the line. I first pulled the old pump up just far enough to fix the leak...it hung above the water for about two days before going back down to operating depth. That's when the problem started.

Possibly an air lock?

Thanks.

More than likely the leak caused the pump to cycle on/off until it got the motor hot. Once you let the smoke out of those motors, there is no putting it back. The windings swell and drag the rotor, which is why it is tripping the overload. Cycling is a bad thing, no matter what causes it.

Latest posts

Back