stubborn shower diverter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallydog

Reaction score
I should probably call a plumber but am determined to fix this myself. I don't know what brand the valve/diverter is. I've used vice grips, liquid wrench, WD40, any tool that you can imagine and can't get this bloody thing out. To be honest it's hard to tell where I'm supposed to be grabbing, turning etc. I can't find a diverter that looks like this so I'm just guessing. Uploading a pic in case anyone can help shed some light. Water is leaking continually from the pushpin so I assumed I was suppose to replace the diverter? Thanks...

diverter.JPG

thanks. unfortunately it won't budge. what exactly am i supposed to be trying to turn? not just the pushpin. i can't see where a part starts and stops. that could be part of my problem?

There is a hex nut behind the push pin that unscrews and the entire diverter assembly pulls out. Take a look at my link and you will see what the part looks like.

John

yeah, that's what i've been working on. now it's almost to the point where it is rounded from all of the tools i've tried on it. i guess it's corroded?

i even tried a little heat with my soldering gun but was heating the part behind the nut. maybe i should just get the actual nut superhot and see if that does the trick?

It's brass it doesn't corrode. It shouldn't be that tight. Someone may have replaced it a some time and over tightened it. There is a O ring behind the nut that seals it. Hand tight and a 1/4 turn should have been enough. It's a shame because that's a good faucet. The only other thing that may work is a six point socket with a 1/2" drive will slide over the stem then you could put vice grips on the socket. As long as it isn't completely rounded off the six point should grab it. I realty feel for you I know how aggravating something like this can be. If you don't have any luck in getting it out and you have to replace the faucet and I can be of further help let me know.

Good Luck
John

well i give up. gonna have to call a plumber! man that is frustrating!

I've got a deep socket and still can't seem to apply enough pressure to get this stupid pop up diverter out of the Delta assembly. Did you call a plumber? How did they get it out? I don't want to bust the pipes behind the wall.

Back