Stubborn Faucet Valve removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SportPlumber

Reaction score
I am replacing some bathroom faucets in my home and have come across a difficult mounting system for the valves. The valves are removed by dropping them under the sink. The lock nut on the top is a threaded brass ring with 3 small tab-like protrusions at 120 degree intervals. Is there a tool for removing these?

Picture attached would appreciate if anyone has ever seen this or know manufacturer?

IMAG0060.jpg

I have never seen that before, looks like a total pain in the arse. I would probably just spray the crap out of it with some PB or WD and let it sit, then use a channel lock nose-down over the cartridge.

Alternately, if you have a piece of pipe the right diameter you could dremel out a couple of notches from it and try that.

Yup and thanks. Did a file job on a 1" piece of pipe and it works OK. I have 4 sinks to do and 2 down so far. The first one really sucked since i couldn't get a basin wrench underneath, but number 2 allowed for that and then I was able to push the whole valve up and get channel locks on the ring. I am still looking for the genius who designed this...

Any time a company feels the need to add a special tool in with one of their faucets i cringe because i just KNOW it will be an issue down the line. I'm glad to see most companies using a bit of common sense recently.

Back