strong sewer smell in laundry room

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizard

Reaction score
I live on the third floor of an apartment building and we have a laundry room with washer/dryer hookups but they are not hooked up to anything.

We have been noticing a rotten egg smell every now and then from that room but this morning an overpowering smell came from the room and made us nauseous.

An hour later the nausea and the smell seems to be completely gone.

My landlord says she is sending someone over to take a look and that there is no gas in the building so it's not natural gas.

So my question is can that level of sewer gas explode?

And do I need to keep my windows open? The smell is gone right now I think, but it's 38 degrees here, cold.

Also, I have had a rag stuffed down the pipe in that room and a plastic bag over that sealed with a rubber band. And the water heater is in that room too.

What do I do? But most importantly will my apartment explode?

Thank you!!

lizard, calm down, do the breathing exercise thing....
your water heater, does it have a pan drain and where does it drain to?

go to a hardware store and buy a 2'' test compression type test plug and plug the laundry drain. or pour 3 or 4 cups of water in the drain pipe every otherday aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

3 or 4 bucks

Thank you frodo. I don't know about the water heater.

There is a pipe coming out of the wall, is that the drain that I pour the water in? Oh I see I can buy something to plug it instead.

Great thanks, I feel better...funny you told me to do breathing exercises when it smells like farts in here, okay I'll take a nice deep breath...

so you don't have a gas range, gas dryer, gas furnace or gas water heater? So no gas bill?

not that I know of, landlord says there is no gas in the building and I do not get a gas bill..

thanks for checking!

Latest posts

Back