Stopping the rotten egg smell.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voice

Reaction score
In 2009 I built a 2 bedroom ranch / small vocal mixing studio in the basement. 3 adults live and work full time out of the building.

We ended up with...
3,000 gallon trash tank with no baffles
750 gallon aerobic tank
Hiblow HP 80 air pump
We have a standard drain field

Depending on the job depends on if the client is on Skype or if they come to the studio. there are some larger jobs where there will be up to 10 clients hanging around during the day for 2 weeks.

A few times a year we get the rotten egg smell when there is a large influx of water usage.

Our service company never finds any issues and after playing 20 questions they think it is the change in usage and tell us we will be fine as we are sized for it.
If they do any work they will clean the filter on both tank outlets and sometimes they will turn off the blower and use a sump pump to pump the bottom of the tank back into the trash tank.

Both tanks get pumped every 3 years because of local codes and service company comes out 4 times a year unless I call them for an issue.

Last pumping was 10 2016.
Last service was 2 2017. He took samples from both tanks, pulled and cleaned the air stones, checked the controller box to make sure it was working, and talked for 5 minutes.
4-1-2017 changed the filter on the air pump.

For the last 5 days there have been between 5 and 10 clients around during the day. Yesterday there was a hint of rotten egg small and today it's defiantly there.

Any one have any ideas?

Question is when do you smell It? After you use a faucet? Flush a toilet? Where do you smell it the strongest? Time of day?

It's not the hot water tank. It's my septic tank system.

You can smell it outside after a couple days when we use more water than normal for a few days, but should still be within the designed size of the septic system.

Back