Sprinkler Water Supply Pex Valve Keeps Leaking?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrusaderForever

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a strange one and hope that someone can help me. I just bought a house with a sprinkler system. We have our first 30 degree low coming up so I thought I should winterize the sprinkling system. I blew the water out of the system with my air compressor. Everything went fine and I was pleased with the result. I have the standard setup, inside house water source to outside spigot up to the shut off valve #1 to (2) 1/4" standard screw driver valves to PVB to shutoff valve #2 and then to my sprinklers. I was disconnecting my air compressor from the PVB and noticed a small trickle of water come out the bottom spigot which is below shutoff valve #1. My face turned pale. So I stood there and watched it and then 2 minutes later the trickle started and stopped again. It is literally a trickle that lasts like 1 second. So every 2 minutes I am leaking water into my sprinkler system however it's going out the spigot right now. I have to leave the 2 shutoff valves a quarter open over the winter so I am afraid water could get through into my sprinkler lines. If I leave the spigot open won't the cold air get in my pipe and freeze the water and I could have a pipe explosion in my house? I went in the house and verified that my secondary ball valve coming from the main was closed and my Pex pipe valve was closed. Both of them are closed but seem to be leaking what are the odds?! However, I still get this trickle of water. So, after a crash course in Pex piping I cut out the Pex piping ball valve and installed a new 3/4" Sharkbite ball valve. Super easy and I was proud. I go outside and wait and the trickle is still there. I don't understand how this is possible. Has anyone run into this type of thing before? Any help would be most appreciated.

59a1ad77-b0df-4077-b57a-28085f1fc20a_1000.jpg

did you blow air backwards :eek: thru this ?

you blew trash into the diaphragm , disassemble and clean.

1 tiny grain of sand wil cause it to leak.

do not blow air thru it backwards or frontwards

isolate it with onions and valves, remove it before using air

you MIGHT have damaged the diaphragm...

never:mad: never:mad: never. :mad: blow the diaphragms

Hello,

Sorry I didn't reply. This was solved by waiting and giving it time. It looks like for what ever reason it would slowly leak due the angle of the pipe or something. I have been checking it for days now and it no longer leaks and is bone dry. Not sure why it kept leaking every couple minutes which made it look like an actual leak. Thank you for your replies, crisis averted!

Back