Snapped shower flange bolts

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branimal

Reaction score
I pulled up a lead pan shower today and was removing the flange bolts and they snapped. (I only let the pb blaster work for 10 minutes).

3 of the 4 bolts snapped. I can probably still ezout them. Are there any better options?

I am replacing the “shower floor”. I’m using a schluter Kerdi tray and they want a solid plywood floor. Does that mean the lower flange needs to get removed anyway?

If I remove the lower flange, and replace the subfloor, how will I attach a new flange to the drain? I have no access from below and I have cast iron pipes.

View attachment IMG_8868.jpg
View attachment IMG_8873.jpg

I saw your post about the same bathroom on another forum, but was unable to reply there. Not sure why.

Regarding removing the hardwood floor. That appears to me to me 1/4" thick face nailed oak. If so, just use a wonder bar to remove it. I usually hit down on it with a chisel to split the oak near the end, and then get my wonder bar under it to pull it up. Once you remove the first piece, the rest comes up easily.

No access below then, you're going to have to peel up the floor.
Why would you want to leave that old drain flange. Never mind.
Do the plywood floor in 2 pieces. one section, maybe 2/3 with new flange resting flush in a hole in plywood. Taper the hole so the flange is flush but wont fall through. With the other 1/3 of plywood not set, leaving access for you to connect drain under floor.
Make sure you have support under the seam between the 2 sections of plywood.
You wont know what's under there until you peel it open.

No access below then, you're going to have to peel up the floor.

Why would you want to leave that old drain flange. Never mind.

Do the plywood floor in 2 pieces. one section, maybe 2/3 with new flange resting flush in a hole in plywood. Taper the hole so the flange is flush but wont fall through. With the other 1/3 of plywood not set, leaving access for you to connect drain under floor.

Make sure you have support under the seam between the 2 sections of plywood.

You wont know what's under there until you peel it open.

David - I’m going to replace that flange. First step is removing the hardwood floor and then the subfloor. I’m going to replace with advantech. I want to check out the ptrap and make sure it’s in good shape.

How do I connect a new flange to the plumbing below if I want to use one whole sheet of plywood? Is there some type of easy connect shower drain that does not require access from below?

I haven't used them but the orange big box sells a flange with a red gasket on the outside. That fitting pushes into the toilet drain pipe and supposedly seals. I believe it is made by Sioux City.

I haven't used them but the orange big box sells a flange with a red gasket on the outside. That fitting pushes into the toilet drain pipe and supposedly seals. I believe it is made by Sioux City.

Jeff - I️ used that for my toilet. Works great - so far.

I’m changing the trap onward to pvc so I️ think I️ can push / glue my shower flange into the riser below.

This solves the problem of having no access to the plumbing from below.

Thx

Latest posts

Back