Smell coming from water heater?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizard

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering, I have read that a rotten egg smell can be in water and that it comes from the water heater.

We do have a rotten egg smell in the room that the water heater is in, but it is not in the water. Water smells fine.

So could that smell be coming from the water heater itself, or is it likely something else?

it could be one of two things

you may have a gas leak.

or

you may have a sewer gas leak

do you have a gas line in that room? if you do, get a spray bottle [old fantastic bottle]

put a 1/8 cup of dish soap in and fill with water. spray the fittings. look for bubbles

if its sewer...is there a floor drain or any kind of drain in that room?

pour a 1/2 gallon of water in drain, trap might be dry

That could be a small gas leak. Turn off the water heater and call someone to inspect it. Maybe just he flex supply. You can try using a spay bottle with a mixture of dish soap & water. Best thing to do is call a pro. leaking gas is not something you want to fool around with

Thank you two for your fast responses.

I called the landlord and she says there is no gas in the building. So I guess it's not gas.

We are on the third floor so there is no floor drain in the room - but we do have a washing machine hook up pipe that is not hooked up to anything.

I put a rag in the pipe the covered it with a plastic bag and a rubber band, then I taped a other plastic bag to the wall over the whole thing but the smell is still there. ???

Thanks again! I appreciate your help.

Okay, thanks. The landlord said she was sending someone out but they never came.

I will call again on monday, but since it's not gas is it dangerous? Do I still need to turn the water heater off or anything?

Ah, that's a relief. Thank you frodo :)

it could be dangerous IF confined in a small space with out ventilation.

methane gas is explosive. IF trapped in a pocket with out ventilation.

crack a window, just to be safe, but you do not need to go screaming from the building

So, from what I read, I presume you have an electric wtr htr and a box in the wall for a washer hookup but no washer and you are on the 3rd flr. Is that the top floor of the building? do you have an exhaust fan in that room to the roof.
I have seen at times when a sewer vent on roof emits bad sewer odors and is drawn down into the exhaust vent. very rare but it does happen.

So no gas water heater or gas furnace, or gas dryer, or gas cook range? Must all be electric. Oh, so you must not have a gas bill then.

Sounds like sewer gas, keep water in the drains to prevent gas from coming up.

it could be dangerous IF confined in a small space with out ventilation.

methane gas is explosive. IF trapped in a pocket with out ventilation.

It is a small space, about a 5 x 7 foot closet - but it does have a ventilation fan. I will keep that running since there are no windows at all nearby just a balcony door...

Is that the top floor of the building? do you have an exhaust fan in that room to the roof.
I have seen at times when a sewer vent on roof emits bad sewer odors and is drawn down into the exhaust vent. very rare but it does happen.

There is one more floor above me but there is a ventilation fan in that room that I suppose goes to the roof...

Also, I don't understand, if the gas can explode wouldn't capping the pipe keep it in an even smaller area, or trap it in the apartment below?

Thanks again guys!

you took to large a deep breath and now your tripp'n e (1).gif

the plumbing system is vented out the roof via vent piping.

the pipe is usually kept odor free by the use of a p-trap with a water seal. the water has evaporated due to non use

so the seal is gone, cap the pipe, the gas will go up and away,h.gif to where it is supposed to go...the atmosphere

if worried, pour 1/2 gallon of water into the pipe. that will stop the odoriferous funk that is causing you stress for about 2 days

buy a plug !!!!smiley-hug010.gif

Last edited:
haha lol! okay going to pour some water in there now and will go to the hardware store tomorrow

- landlord said someone was coming but nobody came again today... so I know what to do now I will do it myself

thanks!!!!! :)

Latest posts

Back