Small Drip on Bathroom Drain Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYJeff2016

Reaction score
Hi!

Recently installed a new Moen faucet in my bathroom along with new drain pipe hardware. All is good, except for a small, sporadic leak in a section near the top. (See attached picture. It's not my actual sink, but it will show you where the leak is)

This section was all included with my Moen faucet. The O-Ring is in there, and it's tightened up about as far as it can go. Leak seems to appear sometimes 30 minutes AFTER the sink is used. And it's very small.

How can I fix this? Is there some kind of glue or caulk that I can just place around the top?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

plumbing-bathroom-sink-bathroom-sink-plumbing-diagram-0767ec16d5566300.jpg

I'll let a professional answer your question, but I wanted to comment on your picture. It is great to take such a detailed photo with all the labeling. It sure makes it easy to understand everything. Thanks for this!

I was perplexed for a week with the same issue. I initially thought it was coming from where the popper tray meets the sink but it was not.

I Wouldn't see any water while the faucet was running but 5 minutes later it would roll down the threads from the outside of the pipe. There are 3 cut outs in the popper and any water that finds its way from those cut outs would leak outside the pipe rather than down the drain. pipe doping the threads resolved the problem, but noticed water was still accumulating behind the cut outs. Although it no longer leaks, water seems to be filling the outside of the pipe and accumulating there. I was thinking of sealing those cut outs as I dont have an overflow drain in the sink and I believe thats what they're there for.

The reason it takes a while to drip is it slowly leaks down the threads as the gasket cant seal it no matter how tight I went, perhaps its an issue with these universal poppers and not being of perfect size.

Here is what was happening with mine as best as I can illustrate.

popper.jpg

I was perplexed for a week with the same issue. I initially thought it was coming from where the popper tray meets the sink but it was not.

I Wouldn't see any water while the faucet was running but 5 minutes later it would roll down the threads from the outside of the pipe. There are 3 cut outs in the popper and any water that finds its way from those cut outs would leak outside the pipe rather than down the drain. pipe doping the threads resolved the problem, but noticed water was still accumulating behind the cut outs. Although it no longer leaks, water seems to be filling the outside of the pipe and accumulating there. I was thinking of sealing those cut outs as I dont have an overflow drain in the sink and I believe thats what they're there for.

There are two styles of lavatory basins, one with an overflow and the other without. Each has it's specific drain. The drain with the holes is for an overflow equipped basin and the drain that is closed is for the basin with no overflow.

Lavatory Sink Drains- w and wo Basin Overflow _2.jpg

Thank you for that information and image, will definitely switch mine out as I have no need for the overflow drain.

Back