slow filling toilet tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abfab

Reaction score
I recently replaced my ball cock fill valve with a fluidmaster 400a and also replaced the flapper. Since then I've noticed two things:
1) When I flush, I have to hold the toilet handle down for a few seconds, otherwise the flapper mechanism doesn't completely open. I didn't touch the chain length and the flapper is identical to the old one.
2) The bowl now fills with more water and takes longer to refill. The refill tube continues to add water into the tube until the tank reaches the proper water level.
I moved the refill tube so that it fills completely into the tank. This gives me the proper bowl level and the tank refills faster. However, I am wondering why this is? Did I do something wrong during the installation?

It's hard to tell you what went wrong. I do know the Fluidmaster 400a has many adjustments available. The stem and the float both adjust, to provide you the exact level needed for your toilet. The flapper and has two settings. One is to go over the fill tube, the other will snap onto the dual tabs on the bottom of the fill tube. The chain also needs to be adjusted correctly and if you notice, you have more than one hole available to hang the chain. These need to be adjusted correctly. Lastly, the tubing to the fill tube needs to be adjusted correctly so it does not kink, slowing water flowing into the fill tube. I've used a pair of scissors to cut the tubing just right, so that there are no kinks, but sits properly on the holder.

This information is probably more than you wanted, but wanted to explain everything which needs proper sizing and adjustments.

The reason you have to hold the handle down is because there is to much slack in the chain between the handle and flapper. Shorten the chain so there is just a very little slack. As far as the bowl over filling, This can not happen unless there is a stoppage in the toilet. The toilet is a trap any excess water would just go down the drain. As far as it taking longer to fill, when you turned the water off to replace the fill valve you may have dislodged some sediment that is blocking the water supply to the toilet or you didn't open the valve fully. Try turning the water off then on again.

John

Back