Sink trap adapter leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IntimateBadger

Reaction score
Hi all, just purchased a new house and found a small leak under my bathroom sink at the trap adapter. I took the trap apart and everything looks good except where the horizontal run of pipe meets the adapter. I expected the adapter to have a conical seat for the washer like the rest of the trap connections but it's flat instead so the washer makes a poor face seal and leaks. I should be able to fix this myself but I'm not sure how this connection is designed to seal? Videos I've watched seem to do the same setup but it appears the adapter has the proper seat for the washer.

Here's a pic of how it was assembled:

Thanks for the help!

You can replace the plastic slip nut with a metal slip nut, which takes a more conventional shaped flexible plastic or rubber washer.
The squishy washer will seal that up.
Similar to a packing nut on a faucet stem.

Last edited:
I think someone bought a male adapter vs a trap adapter. I'm more in the pipe dope camp.

I think rather than a meal trap wier washer you should get a rubber slip washer.

Screenshot_20210623-202512_Chrome.jpg

Even better. Cut that out and get the right fitting.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Sorry it's been a little bit. Lowe's next door didn't have the rectangular washer profile so I tried to cut one out of a rubber sheet but that wasn't very effective. I ended up getting the rubber washer like JG suggested and turning it backward so the flat edge could face seal. Not much engagement on the nut but it works. If I have any issues in the future I'll get the right fitting, just didn't want to deal with that for now.

Thanks again for the help!

Latest posts

Back