Sink Pop-up Drain Leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumbplum

Reaction score
Water is leaking out of my pop up drain and I have not been able to stop it. I have purchased a new drain and new pipes, installed them, and reinforced them with plumber's putty and plumber's tape. The water is leaking from the part of the drain that touches the sink. The part with the rubber gasket and the nut. The water leak starts out slow, but eventually gets to a pace of about 3 drops per second. I have noticed that when the drain is plugged, the sink does not leak, it is only when the water is running through the drain. Hopefully someone is able to help me, thanks!

Did you make sure that the rubber gasket is completely flush sometimes when tightening the nut it gets pinched or if it's not completely flush with the sink it can cause a leak

Thank you, I took it all apart and made sure the gasket was flush with the sink. The leak has slowed down to about one drip every second. Does anyone know of anything else that could be wrong?

Did you use enough plumber's putty that it oozed from the top while installing it? Also, where exactly did you put that teflon tape? I've never used the stuff while installing sink drains, and never had a leak, unless it was coming from the connection under that sink tailpiece, where the 6" extension is added.

The "strainer" is the part that goes thru the hole in the sink from the top. There should be a worm of plumbers putty placed under the lip of that strainer. There is a rubber washer and a nut that are tightened against the bottom if the sink and cause the putty to squeeze out. As the orevious poster stated, make sure that is seated properly and tightened.

Next comes the "tailpiece" which is a pipe with male threads that screw into the strainer. Some people use Teflon tape there and others use pipe dope. I prefer pipe dope. Regardless, make sure that connection is tight, with the arm for the pop-up positioned towards the rear. Also, check that the nut holding that arm into the tailpiece is tightened securely.

Back