Sink Installation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMB13

Reaction score
I recently purchased a small ranch with a house that was mostly completed. It's lacking some of the finishing work and I'm trying to do it myself to save money.

I need to install the sink counters and plumbing and in one sink I don't know what to make of this:

2nd%20bathroom%20sink_zpsrzirpwww.jpg

I didn't take the best picture angle, but there is a pipe coming out of the wall through the back of the cabinet and connected to a T joint, which is open at the top, and then goes down and out through the drain pipe.

I don't know where the pipe is flowing from, but my guess is overflow from the hot water heater in an attic above.

I am most definitely not a plumber and don't know what to do with this so that I can install the sink.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
You have to trace it back to where its coming from. That configuration is not allowed. Basically they have some type of PVC drain hooked into the main drain, no p-trap which is going to cause sewer gases to come into your home.

If it is a pressure valve from a hot water heater, you may want to also investigate that. Most codes require a drain near the appliance. So is the hot water heater installed in an strange location? I would question it....

Most likely it's the condensation drain for a 90% efficient furnace or the air conditioner. HVAC guy stubbed it out for the plumber to finish it. Probably stuck it in the drain like that so you can use the heat/air.

Back