Simple solenoid valve and timer setup

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickernator

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for ideas/suggestions on a simple and low cost way to add a timer to a ball valve, located on a heated (200F) waterline.

I have a 3/4" ball valve that controls the boiler feed into a large stainless tank. The ball valve is typically opened for small increments (3min- 10min) in order to increase the temperature of the stainless tank. The issue I have is that I open the valve, set a timer on my phone, walk away and forget. If I leave the valve open it adds way too much heat to the system taking hours to cool, and risking serious damage. You'd think I could see that issue and stand there counting down the seconds until shutdown, but that just isn't my nature come to find out, and no matter how hard I try I still manage to overheat the system regularly.

I found some cheap solutions like this one...
https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Mo...cphy=9033106&hvtargid=pla-1183326411015&psc=1....but this product doesn't exactly instill confidence. At$35 I wonder how long it will last, and my luck with WIFI cameras tells me that this isn't going to work for my application.. but I like the idea.

I would like to install a common solenoid valve (9-24v) and control it with a simple timer of sorts. The idea being that the valve/setup will be reliable, and in the future I can add this valve to the rest of the automated system via a standard connection.

I'm not too familiar with plumbing components but this is the idea of valve I'm looking at...
https://www.grainger.com/product/2H...LVHT2erTylGmIqVQ2jcaAib3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I would like to use this type of valve (im open to suggestions), with a wall mountable timer capable of easily setting increment in minuets, that will countdown the set time and shut down the valve reliably. Im also not too keen on electrical, so Im open to ideas on timers etc.

Thank you guys for your help!

I’d use a normally closed 120v solenoid valve and any type of timer you wanted to control it.

You could do the 24v but you’ll need a 110v to 24v transformer. The timer would control the 110v plug.

This could cause water hammer.

You could also use a motorized ballvalve. It wouldn’t cause water hammer.

Any suggestions on timers? I'm struggling to find one that would allow small increments the doesn't come from Alliexpress, or one that has a setting for minuets rather than scheduling for sprinklers or home lighting. Maybe a different search term would get me further in the right direction?

The idea I was going with (as far as 24v options) was to add have the ability to integrate these valves into the operating system in the future, which uses 24v. I suppose one could probably add a power transformer at that time to allow the system to active the 110v solenoid?

The water hammer doesn't seem to be an issue.. unless I'm unaware of how this behaves differently than the manual valve I currently use that is. When I open and close the manual valves I typically dont operate them slowly. We have quite the setup with check valves and pressure tanks on this system, maybe they accounted for that when originally designing/building it?

Latest posts

Back