Sillcock

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatbread

Reaction score
Sillcock casing twisted in two inside bricks, blocking the removal of stem. How can you pull this sillcock out without busting or grinding brick?

Sounds like you have a frost proof hydrant. Do you have a basement?

If you have a true silcock , the part that's in the wall is the water piping . A pic or two would help

similar to http://www.pexsupply.com/Matco-Norc...oof-Sillcock?gclid=CIm7gd7hrLQCFYl7Qgodg3EALg

but much older

I had the stem out earlier today( 6" stem)
Long story short, the long metal tube(silver looking) got twisted in half,
now the stem will not come out because of the back half of the metal tube being twisted up and stuck inside the hole.

Hole is only big enough for the tube, When looking from outside the house
I can see the twisted up metal inside the tiny hole with a flashlight (about an inch deep)

I guess all the 6 '' stem does is allows water to enter into the water pipe (if this is true then yes the water pipe is what is twisted up( 1 inch from outside of brick) tiny hole, just big enough for this water pipe

Last edited:
no its not the water pipe that is twisted it is the sillcock tube
when lookin through the hole from outside the house, an inch deep into the hole you can see the tube twisted up on one side, blockin the stem from complete removal, but I just wondered if there were any ways to remove the remainder of the sill cock tube besides busting out brick, or removing sheetrock

Remove the sheet rock. You will need to connect the new sillcock to the existing water line. I think you will also find that the sillcock is going through the outside wall at the point of a connecting to a inside wall. Your connection to the water line will be in the inside wall.

John

Once you open the wall and cut the water line you should be able to force the hydrant out of the hole. (pushing it from the back side)

my mistake, I just manuevered the stem out of the sillcock tubing, although i can not tell if this is sillcock tubing or soldered pipe, it looks as though it could be the water pipe IFIXH20. Did not know these sillcocks used to be fluxed and soldered in.

I really did not want to take out sheetrock, the mother is not going to like this at all .
in between the middle and pointer finger you can see where the (pipe) twisted in half,

desk.jpg

Last edited:
What you have is part of the frost proof sillcock. The part that is connected to the water line is in the wall. You have twisted the sillcock in half. The only way to replace it is to cut the sheet rock out.

john

what are the chances the other end of sillcock has male threads? sillcock is prob. 30 + years old

So you were able to just unthread it and thread in a new one? Lucky!

Latest posts

Back