Sillcock hammering

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esteffe2

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 6" Everbilt frost free sillcock with vacuum breaker and recently attached an irrigation system and timer valve. When the timer valve closes, the sillcock begins a repetitive banging noise about 3 times a second. During each bang, a small amount of water squirts out of a small hole in the sillcock shaft. I am guessing what is happening is when the valve closes abruptly, the water pressure on either side of the sillcock seal washer equalizes and the spring pushes the valve closed. This allows water in behind the washer into the shaft and vents the pressure (squirt). This creates an imbalance and the sillcock washer is pushed back by the house pressure again, filling the whole valve, the spring pushes back and it happens again .... Bang bang bang.

Possible solutions?

I thought of cutting the spring to reduce the force, and filling the hollow shaft with epoxy to stop the squirt... Thoughts?

Don't cut the spring. You need a hammer arresters at the new irrigation system. Preferably between the timer valve and the rest of the system. Really need picture because not knowing how things are set up can affect the placement and Also its sizing.

I've never had to put in a globe valve. I have often wondered what the benifits of them are verses other valves. What are the best applications for them? And do they work like a type of metering valve if they can chatter when installed backwards?

1280px-Globe_valve_diagram-en.svg.png

you can see how the water can hit the side of the bib washer and make it chatter

they are great for a metering valve

we used them years ago for the valve at the w/h. i do not know why

cheaper maybe ? LOL know ing him most likely

what i am thinking, been thinking all day, but not sure

when the timer shuts off, it is useing a fast acting valve

the water thru the h/b is still on, the action causes the vacuum breaker to open [as it should] but with the water still on,

and the VB open, that is where the water the op is seeing is coming from...backwards thru the VB

it has opened and vented water not sucked in air

next is the hammering,,not sure, it is either the VB diaphragm but i suspect it is the check valve on the stem slamming shut from water going back inti the house ..check valve is being pushed in the opposite direction as to which it was intended

this is just guestimention ....

this unworthy Forrest gnome is of no match to be snatching pebbles from the master
he holds his hand out, i catch air every time....now if he were to have a gold ring........

Last edited:
I had in my head a completely different system. I was thinking commercial not residential. Was not thinking it was screwed into the hose bibb. I not only caught air but a pebble to the forehead.

Latest posts

Back