Shutoff valve on pvc

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Girevik

Reaction score
I need to replace the shutoff valve on one of my toilets. The pipe coming out of the wall is a PVC pipe, but the valve looks like a regular threaded valve. I bought both a threaded and PVC "Shark Bite" valve to replace it, but am still concerned. Might I be in for any surprised getting this thing replaced?

LOL loaded question, plumbing is where "murphy" lives.

sounds simple

turn water off, with 2 wrenches, unscrew valve...but you know Murphy, litle rascal

Exactly what I'm afraid of, especially since water will be shut off to the whole house. I was (and still am) just confused by what appears to be a threaded connector on pvc. I'll try to get a picture up shortly.

Pipe is cpvc and angle stop is compression (not threaded) Looks like you have some to cut it and use a new valve.
069e85c2e9bf96eea7de625438046036.jpg

So I can't unscrew that valve, huh? Need to cut it. hope the shark bite valve I got will work.

Well Hell. Cut off the old one, put on a new "Shark Bite" valve, and now it's spewing water worse than ever. Some lucky plumber gets to charge us a Sunday rate.

You have CPVC, not PVC. The old valve was compression. The valve that Gargalaxy posted is a CPVC solvent weld valve, the best fix for your situation. Sharkbyte is a somewhat problematic connection system.

Back