Shut Off Valve Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The basement shut off valve for my outside faucet (hose bib) has been a pain for years. I have repacked the packing nut, replaced the washer, etc. Our water has lots of minerals. I did more replacements today but I still have seepage. I found a new boiler drain. I replaced the shut off valve innards with the innards from the boiler drain and it fit and works with no leaks. Is there any reason not to have done this? I have asked folks in plumbing departments if I could buy a new shut off valve and use its innards as a replacement for mine.....they keep saying 'no' that different manufacturers use different specs. Did I luck out with the boiler drain I have?

Last edited:
You might have gotten lucky. post a picture. If the threads that hold it together are a little loose, you might find that part lying on the floor and the basement flooded one morning.

You might have gotten lucky. post a picture. If the threads that hold it together are a little loose, you might find that part lying on the floor and the basement flooded one morning.

If the threads were loose wouldn't it be leaking? What would you like a picture of? Everything is tight and dry. What could go wrong?

Last edited:
Normally the bonnet that holds the stem is seal with a small nylon washer if the male threads are on the bonnet and the actual stem packing is the seal when the bonnet is female.

The threads are not the seal.
I have seen the after math of when someone replaced some compression type angle stops with out changing the nut and Ferrule ( olive). the nut seemed tight but the entire valve blew off about an hour after he left. You're probably okay. Just curious as to what your valve looked like.

I see a lot of different types of items on this forum that I never seen before and in some regions they seem to be quite common.

any of these look like yours?

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

First picture is what it looks like now....original housing and valve from boiler drain. Second picture shows the valve that I removed from original housing and the boiler drain without its valve. Not sure if this shows what you need to see. If you need to see the boiler drain valve I can shut down the water main and remove it for a photo.

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

Last edited:
If there is calcium build up on brass it will tear new washer when you turn it off. Best thing is to install new valve never rebuild

Reactions: SHR
Back