Shower Drainage Issue With A Twist

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay13

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got a really petty one for you.

I'm looking for opinions/advice on a shower drain that is often getting clogged and backing up into the tub. I've been able to fix the problem temporarily in the past with a snake and some drain cleaner, which I don't mind doing every six months or so when the problem occurs.

If I'm being honest, the drainage issue is really only my secondary concern. The constant backup is causing an argument between myself and my roommates who, since I am the only one who showers daily, (which is another issue altogether), are blaming me entirely for the condition of the shower.

Now, having been the only one out of the four men to actually have lived alone, I know the type of ware my routine causes. I have never encountered an issue like this before in my previous apartments.

So the question I have for you professionals; could this just be the cost of four people sharing a single shower? Possibly the result of cheap or worn piping? Or might my constant usage be the actual culprit?

Thank you.

So you mentioned a shower and a tub drain. Are these separate drains.
An actual separate shower with a nearby bathtub.
Liquid drain cleaners really don't clear stoppages that well.
Unless it is very old system, the shower drain should be a 2" drain.
and if it is backing up into a nearby bath tub, it should be cleaned with a snake that is a bit more larger than a hand snake.

hair is the biggest and most common culprit of tub and shower stoppages.
The snake will usually latch onto it and pull it out.
If you're not pulling hair out, then it could be that hand snake is poking only a small hole through some hard build up. That hard build up is more likely to occur in old cast iron piping and not in more modern plastic piping.

Reactions: SHR

Latest posts

Back