Shower drain removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronald Dougherty

Reaction score
hello all,

I bought a condo for a rental and am pretty handy but I have come across a problem. The HOA (gotta love those) sent out a letter stating that our shower drains need to have the seal replaced and they were making it our responsibility. I am thinking they are meaning a O ring. Ok so this is what I’ve got... how can I remove the drain? I have loaded pics. Thanks for any help you could give. It looks like it’s got little castle ridges if you look closely. It’s on 4th floor so no access to bottom.2581A04F-5675-4BF8-9247-1A3D7AD8EAA7.jpeg

Attachments

• EEB220DF-536E-4333-A8AF-5D4E9822CDBA.jpeg
    EEB220DF-536E-4333-A8AF-5D4E9822CDBA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 00E0F56A-C53C-4316-A9A1-9B85128FA420.jpeg
    00E0F56A-C53C-4316-A9A1-9B85128FA420.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
There is a tool for the castelated ring that you describe.
I have one from my early days that is circular and has place to put a wrench on as to aid in tightening.
But your photo gives the impression that the pipe is too high even to use the tool.
Also: There is no evidence and I have never encountered in 45 years, a drain fitting like this that needed a gasket replaced.
The gasket is bound between the bottom casting and the brass castelated ring top.
I am not aware of them selling the gasket as an aftermarket item, you would have to buy a new drain. If you do get a new drain fitting, it has to be installed with access from below, because there is a nut that holds the drain body in place. A job for a licensed professional, if you can find one to work on condos or TICs.
Vote out the HOA directors, they don't know what drain you have or are ignorant boobs.

Back