Shower arm (?) Leak again

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siskin

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am forced re-visit this topic:http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67149#post67149

I apologize for making a little difficult to look up the previous posts. Here is my latest comment:

Hi guys,
Thanks for all of your comments and advice.
I capped the pipe for a month and no leak. I installed the arm with good teflon and dope. Tried it, no leaks.
Rest of the family came back from long vacation and leak showed up again after three showers in a row. No clue. Waited one week doing nothing, again three showers in a row and no leak.
If you are thinking a leak around the drain or base, I used a hand held for 20 minutes on walls and base with no leak.
I tried using only the hand held shower that has a separate connection from the "faucet". I figured that if there is no leak using the hand held, the problem must be in the "main"shower water circuit.
But it stayed pressurized for a month without a drop.
I am thinking a faulty faucet leaks when opened... Sorry, I am really puzzled.
Help is much appreciated, before I tear everything down :).

I wish I knew. Below is the garage ceiling, I opened it up and there is no clear clue. Issue is that is sometimes leaks and sometimes does not.

cap off the head and spout..cap off everything. if it does not leak

then it is your shower drain or shower wall.

are all pipe penetrations sealed with silicone ?

face plate sealed ?

does the wall have a water bearier between the sheet rock and tile?

is the reveal between tub/shower pan and wall sealed?

what type of shower curtain are you using?

is the water getting out via the curtain and leaking where tub meets floor?

is the overflow gasket on the tub sealed [tight] against the back of the tub?

pictures of the area would help a WHOLE LOT

Last edited:
Back