SharkBite and Pex questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpdwyer

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have three questions I'm hoping for answers to.

1 - I have 3/4 copper for both hot and cold running into the space that will be our master bath. If I sweat on a SharkBite manifold to each of them and then attach Pex to SharkBite fittings, assuming everything is done correctly, will this setup be reliable and not leak 2 or 3 years from now? I ask because after reading a lot about the SB connections on the web while 90% of them are positive, I find about 10% that complain of leaks (not connected correctly from the start???) or just some opinions that SharkBite fittings are for "hacks". They sure make life easier upfront...just want to know if they have any flaws down the road.

2 - I will be installing two vanities and a large shower (no bath tub) that will have large rain shower head and a regular shower head with a wand attachment. When I run 1/2" Pex to the shower I assume the best solution would be 2 separate runs back to the manifold for the two shower heads so each would be fed from a distinct connection from the manifold as opposed to sharing the same 1/2" line, correct?

3 - Assuming I use a 3/4" copper manifold with 1/2" SB fittings and I do use the separate runs for each shower head...If I'm about 12' feet away from the manifold, will the pressure be very good at both shower heads?...or do I look for a 3/4" copper manifold with 3/4" SB fittings? My concern is that the 1/2" SB fittings might restrict the volume of water...opinions?

Thanks in advance.

--Rick

why do you want to use sharkbite instead of crimp?

my opinion, i do not use 1/2'' pex run to anything.

the id of 1/2'' pex is 3/8'' i run 3/4'' and 1'' only

shark bite will bite you in the ass

I thought the PEX setup required special expansion/crimp tools which if I have to buy, I certainly will.

Regardless of the connection method I use, I should be running 3/4 pex to each location?

Thanks,
--Rick

I would. you want VOLUME of water at shower heads, the bigger the water line the more volume

OK, last questions then...

I don't see pre-made 3/4 inlet to 3/4 barb manifolds. Making a manifold out of four 3/4 T fittings strung together with the crimp type pex is a reliable solution? (assuming the pex is secured along it's length).

The crimp type pex connections have a good record of not leaking down at some future point?

Thanks,
--Rick

I don't think you'll have much of a problem due to volume. Its required now by all faucet makers to install low flow /restrictive in their faucet, yes people pull these out to get more volume. By code in most places 1/2" pipe is required up to bathtubs and kitchen but I thought I read that bathroom vanity can be 3/8? Maybe they are talking the braided connection from the wall to the faucet.

Anyhow PEX is 20x faster and the crimp tool is around $70, is SUPER EASY and its flexible. Copper is reliable as long as you know how to sweat the joints and you are comfortable doing it. Copper is more expensive and costs will increase drastically once you start buying all the fittings and supplies. When you use the Copper to PEX adaptors yes the diameter changes to 3/8" it seems and thats too bad. I can tell you that I have 3/4 copper for my front hose bib with a industrial 3/4 + red hose and it pumps out water, its wasteful honestly. In the back I had to re-do the hose bib and ended up replacing 25' of older 1/2" copper with 1/2" pex and because of that Copper to pex adapter and crimp on 1/4 turn valve to shut it off in the winter drastically reduced the water flow. I get impatient watering with the back hose bib vs the front!!

If you can avoid it I would use copper to the tub and shower, but maybe you can use 3/4 pex then a 3/4 to /12 reducer to make up for the loss. There is an entire article on water flow dynamics and volume vs pressure based on the size of the pipe.

Oh and that shark bite push on connectors, I would never use that. I think its a law suite waiting to happen years down the road IMHO. I don't see how it could hold up 20 years +. I saw some picture where they used a shark bite push on fitting from the city supply into a pressure regulator. That is crazy!

Latest posts

Back