Shaky pipes on whole house filter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louvig

Reaction score
Hello all,

I had a professional plumber install a whole house filter in my garage. The issue I have is that when I put in the filters and it's filled with water, the pipes don't seem to support it very well. I put a piece of wood under it temporarily. But more importantly, I need quite a bit of torque to unscrew the filter using the supplied tool. The plumbing moves and twists as I do this. I am afraid it may fail at some point. See picture.

I am thinking of attaching a board behind the pipes, attach it to the studs or use toggle bolts or both. Then use 2 hole pipe straps to attach the pipe to the board. Also maybe using pipe strapping to attach to either side of the filter and secured to the board.

Just would like some advice as to whether this is a good idea. Or should I have the pipes replaced with metal pipes and be done with it?

Thanks.

Lou

filter.jpg

I agree that this looks like a flimsy setup. I would rebuild the PVC lines and go directly to, as you say, a mounted piece of plywood where could be secured properly.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I am planning to attach the plywood board on the finished wall.

You could also break the unions and take the filter to a bench and change it there. I do agree that it needs some type of support which the plumber should have done originally.

Thanks for your response. Removing the filter poses same issue. Pipes move and twist as I disconnect the filter housing. I think I will be strapping the pipes to plywood attached to the wall this week.

Back