Sewer smell outside

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lstanley

Reaction score
Hello all,

Sometimes when outside I can smell what appears to be my septic.

It usually happens when someone just took a shower.

I recently, before I noticed the smell had my septic pumped. The way the people I had bought the house from had covered the liquid side of the tank was with two patio bricks. Air was able to go in and out, and probably rain water too. It was kind of tight so I dont think too much went in there. When I noticed this I got a real cover and sealed it with a bag over it and dirt. Now air probably cant get through there.

I have recently did some plumbing work inside. I moved my kitchen sink, haven't used it yet tho. I tapped into the same line the old location was venting and draining into. I used the advice I got on here to do it.

What is my problem????

You used a bag and dirt to cover your septic tank?

Hello all,

Sometimes when outside I can smell what appears to be my septic.

It usually happens when someone just took a shower.

I recently, before I noticed the smell had my septic pumped. The way the people I had bought the house from had covered the liquid side of the tank was with two patio bricks. Air was able to go in and out, and probably rain water too. It was kind of tight so I dont think too much went in there. When I noticed this I got a real cover and sealed it with a bag over it and dirt. Now air probably cant get through there.

I have recently did some plumbing work inside. I moved my kitchen sink, haven't used it yet tho. I tapped into the same line the old location was venting and draining into. I used the advice I got on here to do it.

What is my problem????

The septic tank vents through the house vent(s). The tank itself should be sealed tightly.

Sometimes, the fumes from a tank emitted to the air from the house vent (on roof) can be drawn down to ground level. There are special charcoal filters you can use on the vent pipe or there may be something wrong with the vent or design.

Tank Venting.jpg

You used a bag and dirt to cover your septic tank?

I put the cover on, a cement one. Then I put a heavy duty trash bag over that, and put a few inches of to still over it.

I figured wind or cold air could contribute to the smell, just never noticed it before.

We recently had a little snow here. Probably normal, but the patch above my tank was the first to melt.

I put the cover on, a cement one. Then I put a heavy duty trash bag over that, and put a few inches of to still over it.

I figured wind or cold air could contribute to the smell, just never noticed it before.

We recently had a little snow here. Probably normal, but the patch above my tank was the first to melt.

Lids are to be above grade to avoid ground water penetration. The smell could be coming from a down draft of wind from your roof vent. I would get someone in there to check. Just to make sure your drain field has not been compromised either,.

Latest posts

Back