sewer line hole causing sink hole

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwozhog

Reaction score
So i have a big sinkhole in my backyard. I called the city out and they tv the city main 15 underground. It turns out my neighbor had a pool built before i moved in and was kind enough to reroute there sewage line into my property while they bask in the sun. She only invited my son over once in ten years to swim in her pool too. Thats besides the point though. A new guy has moved in and he now has this big mess to deal with that we both just found out about. The main has a 5ft vertical run with a 4inch pvc 90 on top so it can run to his house. Its leaking at the 90 and its 10 ft underground. How much of the pipe needs to be cut back to replace the 90. Also would a flex connector be safe underground that deep? I have attached a youtube video and the leak is at the end of the video. You will see the green dye spilling in as im hosing water into my back yard.
https://youtu.be/72anMxVr1cM

Last edited:
it is illegal for your neighbors utilities to be run thru your property

i would ask, via a registered letter for them to reroute the utilities

then, i would have a lawyer call them, if they refused, demanding they move the line and fix the damage to your property

I called the state and they said its legal since there is a utility easement in place. Yeah um pretty hacked about that too.

If it is causing damage to your property, then it is NOT legal. Sounds like they are giving you a run-around.

When you say "state", which department? If this is sewage waste, then you need to contact Dept of Health and Hospitals/ Sanitation (whatever it is called in your state) and explain that it is seriously damaging your property and you need an assessment and need the owner to have it re-routed.

I wonder if there is some statute of limitations on this to sue or fine the person who had the stuff routed to your yard to begin with.

I'm not allowed to have my field lines be within 50 feet of my neighbor's property.

To answer your question. Do not use rubber that deep. Your pipe size devide number in half. That's your hub depth for that size. Drain pipe. 3" pipe has 1.5" hub so you need 1.5" to seal. 4"is 2" hub. So on.

Ok so I'm assuming I'm going to have the cut below the 90 and install a coupling and a few ft away horizontal from the 90 and install a coupling with a 90 in between the two couplings. Is this the best way to go about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes that's it. Look or ask for a repair coupling. It doesn't have the stop in it. Slide fully onto pipe then slide back over new section. Make marks to line up coupling over seam. Be quick. You have about 10-30 seconds. Depends on temp.

Back