Setting ahower drain, need to replace some pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveaz

Reaction score
I tore out my original fiberglass shower pan and I am about to set my drain before pouring the pitched subfloor. The tiled shower pan will be the same dimensions as the fiberglass pan was, so my center location is the same.

I dug out my existing waste line and it isn't as simple as slipping the floor drain onto the existing pipe. It looks like the original builder/plumber missed the center with the P-trap and decided to mount two 45's. My drain depth lines up with the center of the highest 45.

I have worked with lots of PVC, but have no ABS experience.

My initial guess is that I should dig back a bit on the line and cut off the P-trap, use a coupler, extend the main line enough that a new P-trap can be centered properly, dry-fit everything, then glue it all when I have all my pipe lined up how I want it.

3 pics: (My company has a firewall, so I may need to post these later):

i.jpg

j.jpg

k-1.jpg

Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Fixed photos.

I do understand that the drain can go anywhere, but it would look really stupid if my water tiles didn't line up with my drain.

f.jpg

(these will be vertical)

I'm more concerned with if it makes sense to replace all of that ABS, and since I can't make the drain bottom flush with the slab as it is, I think it may be my only option.

You have plenty of horizontal trap arm.
Open the floor just a wee bit more.
Cut off the p-trap and 90 and set a new trap where you want it.
The U-turn part of the trap can swing to any angle you want.
You may just have to add a couple inches with a coupling on the horizontal arm to position the 90 where you want it.

Silly me I just repeated what you said. Thats' what I get for not reading through:)

Last edited:
ABS cuts and glues the same.
Use a level on the vertical tail pc so you get a nice level drain.

Awesome, thanks. That was what I had thought. I was just put off by not finding what I had expected to see below the shower pan and thought I'd double check.

Back