Septic Odor Help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoggie

Reaction score
Bear with me as I'm technically challenged, but I have to find a solution! We have the type of septic system that sprinkles out the water in the final tank (3 tanks, I believe). When the water sprinkles, it smells. Have lived in this house in North Texas for 15 years and never a problem until last year. We had the tank pumped at that time (sooner than normal schedule) and that seemed to fix the problem. Now, the problem is back. For 15 years we had no problems at all--used the garbage disposal, didn't worry about cleaning products, etc. Showered and did laundry at will. I even went through chemo and no problem (which I've read can cause problems). Our septic guy has replaced the aerator (even though it appeared to be okay) and fixed one line. This was a month or more ago. Smell still there. The ONLY thing we can think of that changed was I started using Tide--had used Gain before. At the time the aerator was changed I switched ot biodegradable detergent (which I hate). We also put yeast in the system (does it have to be brewer's yeast? We used regular yeast). I started watching water consumption throughout the day and limited laundry each day. Smell is still there. Can anyone suggest what we should do? I need to be able to do laundry and dishes when I want and take a shower when I want! Help!

What make is the system ?

Don't add yeast.

If you want to add something add dry dog food to the 1st chamber.

Are you sure the tank is getting air in it?

Remove the lid to the aeration chamber & with the aerator running check for bubbles.

You could also add a Norweco Chlorinator/de-chlorinator after the last tank.

I know when I service ATU's if there is a smell when open the aeratoration chamber lid there is a problem with the aerator.

Back