Self igniting torch

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odinbeats

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for suggestions on what torch to buy I want a self igniting so I don't have to keep lighting it with a sparked. I use map gas or propane tanks. The price range I'm looking for is around 50 to 75 $ thanks

I've had three Bernz o matic self igniting torches and loved them. The sparker wears out after so many thousand lights. I decided to try a Turbo torch from Lowes since I used to use the Turbo torch when they first came out in the 70's. It was and still is 1/3rd the torch the Bernz o matic is. Sorry to have to give Turbo torch such a bad review, but that's my experience. This is the Turbo torch http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041V9WHQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 and this is the Bernz o matic. http://www.lowes.com/pd_77454-13877-TS4000T_1z0wcii__?productId=50126393&pl=1

Last edited by a moderator:
speedbump,,

I have turbo torch B tank set ups and 1 sof flame B tank, 6, B tank bottles
4 or 5 turbo torch swivel head map gas heads.

I have never in over 30 years bought a self igniter, i flik a bic, or spark

41010vhs0nL._SL500_.jpg

my favorite torch is a 25 year old uniweld ,rig
371258684040_1.jpg

it is so old the handle is wood, not plastic

spend the money, get a rig with a hose to a B tank,

the tips give you a small heat area instead of a flame the size of a quarter,
look into SOFFlame tips
th

th

i'll give you a B tank, gotta come get it, cant ship it. LOL

Last edited:
The first picture in your post is the one I used to use. I would wear them out by abuse not use. With a tank of Mapp Gas, I could solder all the copper I needed to. I loved that torch, but I used to smoke back then, so a lighter was always handy. The self igniter (could have swore I got it at Lowes) was a disappointment. The clicker just didn't do the job. You would have to click it as many as ten times to get it to light. The trigger was mushie. The Bernz o matic lights every time. Don't get me wrong, I just use them for lighting trash now when I burn stuff.

Yup, I can attest to that. I threw one between my Wife's legs once in a basement. It sure got her attention. They were a little temperamental in that respect.

Back