Securing shower supply line?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogucki

Reaction score
Looking for a good way to attach the shower elbow that you screw your shower head connector into. When I tore out the old shower it was just secured with the old metal strapping stuff. Didn't seem like a very secure way to do it. Is there anything I can buy that clamps around the elbow?

I planned on using pex from the shower valve up to this elbow but if the solution you suggest requires copper just let me know. I kept some of the old copper lines I tore out to practice soldering and after a few attempts I think I got the hang of it. Thanks for the help.

Very nice Mr IFIXH20! Never could find anything like these at the big box stores. I'll go dig some more tomorrow.

dont use pex on the shower arm, it makes for restriction and you get less flow... NEVER use pex for the tub spout or you will get a showerhead that sputters even without the diverter pulled.

use copper to feed the head and solder on a copper by 1/2 fip wingback 90

Thanks. I was worried about that. The valve directions state to not use pex for the tub spout due to restriction. This made me wonder if I would regret using pex for the shower head. Thanks for the info. I'll solder in copper.

dont use pex on the shower arm, it makes for restriction and you get less flow... NEVER use pex for the tub spout or you will get a showerhead that sputters even without the diverter pulled.

Liquid, how much of a reduction in pressure at the shower head will be lost if using a pex drop ear 90 ? I am not running to any complaint (so far ) where pex drop ear 90 is used at the shower riser. I agree never use pex at spout , and you can't go wrong with copper. I am just asking ,due to i have not had any complaint.

It is common practice here to use CPVC for the shower riser. I haven't seen any complaints either with this practice.

But just like IFIXH20, I would say that copper is definitely best practice for shower risers.

Ran pex to the valve and soldered a copper riser up to the 90 today. Tested for leaks and it's all good.

I tested the delta shower head that came with trim kit and it sucks. It's definitely one of these low-flow heads. I'm thinking of trying to rip out the plastic restrictors and see if she puts out better flow. Anybody know of a good oil rubbed bronze shower head that won't break the bank? Thanks for the help guys.

Firstly, please explain where on this planet anyone uses pex for a shower arm. Secondly, please explain how using pex for the "shower riser" which terminates at the drop el 90 would restrict flow. The id is the same whether it's a copper or pex riser! That said, I would personally always use, and I think you'll find that faucet manufacturers design their valve bodies to be used with copper for the shower riser & for the spout drop & stub-out.

I think the term shower arm and riser are being interchanged here due to my inexperience. I don't think liquid or myself ever thought that the shower arm would be pex. Obviously this wouldn't work. As far as the inside diameter between the two, I wouldn't have a clue.

Firstly, please explain where on this planet anyone uses pex for a shower arm. Secondly, please explain how using pex for the "shower riser" which terminates at the drop el 90 would restrict flow. The id is the same whether it's a copper or pex riser! That said, I would personally always use, and I think you'll find that faucet manufacturers design their valve bodies to be used with copper for the shower riser & for the spout drop & stub-out.

Im sure i dont need to explain this to you, as bogucki said The word arm and riser have been flip flopping. Im also sure youre aware that the Id is not the same which is why if you use pex for the Tub spout you will have the water vreep up the pipe and have a sputtering showerhead without the Diverter pulled in any way. pex and copper have different id's, not by much. but its there.

to the other posters, I will admit Ive never encountered a complaint or problem with the Riser for the shower being pex to a pex wingback 90, but Thats a crappy and poor way to do it and I respectfully would never install a shower like that.

I think your getting ID and OD confused. The OD (outside diameter) is the same on PEX and copper. But the ID (inside diameter) on PEX is smaller then copper. The ID on the PEX fittings is even smaller yet, causing even more restriction. That is the reason (as liquid stated) faucet manufactures say not to use PEX on tub spouts.

John

Liquid, I respect your answer , but i have seen pex and cpvc shower risers plumbed in multimillion dollars custom built holmes. I don't think these well respected custom builders will hire crappy and poor plumbing contractor. May there is a different in pex/cpvc/copper use depending on the area you are in.

Since the PEX ID is smaller, couldn't you increase the volume by bumping up to a 5/8" or 3/4" PEX for the tub spouts?

you could, but all the tub spouts ive seen have a 1/2" port to recieve the pipe.

IFIXH20- I too have seen this done in very expensive homes but I still think its not as good a way to do it IMO. I have done this in staff Accomodations But I really dont like to do it at all... Just my 2c ( so i guess regarding my above post I am wrong to have said I would never do this lol )

:)

you could, but all the tub spouts ive seen have a 1/2" port to recieve the pipe.

IFIXH20- I too have seen this done in very expensive homes but I still think its not as good a way to do it IMO. I have done this in staff Accomodations But I really dont like to do it at all... Just my 2c ( so i guess regarding my above post I am wrong to have said I would never do this lol )

:)

Liquid, this post shows me you are a man of integrity.

I am a man that will shoot himself in his own foot.... as long as that foot is on the head of an arse whole.. :) we must be able to admit our weaknesses and when we are wrong otherwise how can we possiblly learn and become better?

Back