Running Toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hund1832

Reaction score
I have a toilet that will run for 3-10 seconds every several minutes to every hour or so, it varies. I have replaced the flapper with a rubber Korky (this did reduce the time between refills), the water fill level is not above the overflow tube, and the fill hose is not down in the tube either. I have cleaned off the top of the component that the flapper rests on to make sure there is no debris. Somehow, enough water is trickling in to the bowl over time that the toilet will refill periodically.

I read a recent thread about different flappers working differently, so should I just try a different flapper? Is there another component I am overlooking that may need repaired/replaced?

Thanks in advance!

I hate those korky red flappers.

Raise your water level in the tank until it’s 1/2”-1/4” down from the top of the overflow. I doubt this will stop your problem but it may flush better.

I hate those korky red flappers.

Raise your water level in the tank until it’s 1/2”-1/4” down from the top of the overflow. I doubt this will stop your problem but it may flush better.
Yea, I tried this as well already. I’m thinking the new flap may be my best bet to try next.

Put some dye in your tank. It will tell you quickly if your flap is leaking. Before you replace your flap, clean the base of the tank - sometimes they get gunked up and the new flapper won't seal. Been there and done it. If you don't see color in your bowl, it's something else.

IMO, I would first losen the chain 1 link (it looks to tight from the pic.) if thats not it try food coloring.

Hard to tell, but is it possible the excess chain is being sucked under the flapper? Side cutters work great to do this.

Back