Running Kohler Toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orfeo

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Our Kohler toilet has developed a run/leak after flushing. I'm not sure of the model of the toilet but on the left hand side of the bowl there is 1850 BR 1073 embossed on the outside (could actually be 1860 BR 1073).

The problem is that the float which causes the valve to close after flushing isn't rising up to its highest level. The float is attached to a metal rod which you can slide the float up and down on to cause more pressure to force the float up. However moving the float to either extreme has not fixed the problem. Its as if the float is just getting stuck in the last action of closing the valve. At the moment i'm having to lift the toilet lid and manually lift the float. This is quite annoying and we're losing a lot of water.

I was thinking perhaps the float joint needs some lubrication? (vacuum grease) or is this a sign that the valve system needs to be replaced? Another option seems to be that you can rain the level of the drainage hole. The hole does seem to have a thread to allow for this but i haven't been able to raise it. I have put some tape there in the mean time but i need something better than that obviously.

I've included some pictures to hopefully explain my story better.

thanks for reading this far :)

Regards
orfeo

P1020566.jpg

P1020564.jpg

P1020565.jpg

Not really worth monkeying around with the fill valve, IMO. You can buy a replacement for the whole unit at your local hardware store for around fifteen bucks.

Thanks SlowDrip,

By fill valve you're talking about the purple thing on the right with the float?

thanks
orfeo

Yeah, sorry about that I should have been more specific. The fill valve is indeed the purple-capped part on the right.

Turn your water off, flush the toilet to drain the tank and then put a bucket under where your supply line attatches and unscrew it. You can then remove the nut that holds the fill valve in. Reverse the steps when installing the new flush valve.

Latest posts

Back