Rough-in inspection

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaken-n-stirred

Reaction score
for the rough-in inspection are you allowed to affix your hose bibs or do you need to cap off the lines and install the bibs later? It sure seems easy enough to install the actual bibs, and not installing them seems like a pain. It would be easy to get all lines the proper length and have the female threaded coupling to receive the bib. to get the line the right length and not actually have the bib attached seems difficult.

??

Last edited:
Is that part not a shower dog leg what you ma call it?

If you can make a straight run of pipe between the floor joists and out the wall to the bib, do you still like to make two 90s to plumb it up? If so why?

State is Idaho.

Yes, HD rocks for lots. Electric conduit is cheaper than any electric supply house I have found. If something is a commodity and not a specialty item, HD is pretty good dispite the seemly common knee jerk " I hate HD and Walmart" . JMHO.

For the sake of argument, suppose I did not use your 90 approach and just ran a straight run of pipe to the hose bib threaded nipple and straight out with the hose bib and then ran that straingth run of pipe strainght back the other direct and out through another hose bib on the other side of the house. Total length 50 feet. Would I have to worry about the pipe expanding and contracting (pushing bibs out away from the wall or contracting and breaking a pipe???????????????????????????)

I was pretty sure I was asking for trouble if I ran an end to end run like that.

how to I create an expansion loop for a situation like that? I would likely have a run come to a tee and then wish to run it 25 or so feet each direction to a hose bib. How can I account for expansion?

Thanks

It looks like I could start from my tee, go 18 inches in each direction, turn 90 degrees and continue to go about 26 inches, go 90 to each hose bib. I say 18 and 26 inches since I found a chart for 60 foot runs and 7/8 inch pipe which states 36 inch offset and 26 inch loop.

What you say?

You say the only place you ever installed an expansion loop was for a steam pipe? Well that makes a lot of sense given the temperature differential expected in that install, maybe 200 degrees.

But yet you thought I should make some consideration for a front to back of the house, 50 foot, straight run with fixed terminations (hose bibs on each end) ???????????? Sure would be a pain and cost 4 or more els. But if 2/4 of an inch or 3/8 would cause me trouble ??????

You say the only place you ever installed an expansion loop was for a steam pipe? Well that makes a lot of sense given the temperature differential expected in that install, maybe 200 degrees.

But yet you thought I should make some consideration for a front to back of the house, 50 foot, straight run with fixed terminations (hose bibs on each end) ???????????? Sure would be a pain and cost 4 or more els. But if 2/4 of an inch or 3/8 would cause me trouble ??????

.never said i "thought" a GD thing

You posted :

"it is called an expansion loop i believe that is what you are trying to ask

no, i would not run a pipe with out some type of offset would you?"

So you posted it so I "thought" that the words would have been your "GD thoughts"

Hmm?

Latest posts

Back