rotted overflow and no access

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe71nj

Reaction score
Hi. Is it possible to change a rotted overflow on a tub without any access from underneath or from the other side of the wall? Can it be fixed if tile is removed on the wall above the drain? This tub is an old building on a slab and it's also back to back with another bathroom. All they have is a chase in between the two bathrooms for pipes etc. I just renovated my bathroom and once my new tub etc was installed, we noticed the bathtub on the opposite side had a rotted overflow pipe right where it hooks up to the drain. There was no way to get to it from my side by that point. Will they have to rip apart the bathroom and pull out the tub to fix that?

It's right where the overflow and the drain meet... where the nut is.

yes, cut a hole so you can reach and replace the W&O

go buy a waste an overflow, some plumbers puddy and pipe dope

plyers,

Thank you for answering. I can't understand why so many plumbers including the one who did my work are saying you can't do it without removing the tub when it seems to me like you should be able to reach right in through an opening and do it... especially with there being a chase to give you more working room. The nut isn't that far down. Maybe they're assuming that they have to change the drain too? Is it impossible to change the drain without access underneath or from an access panel on the other side of the wall? Can that be changed the same way as you described...or is that only good for the overflow?

depends..if you can get to it, the waste and overflow can be changed out..

pita, but can be done. after all, it was installed with the tub in place.

BUT. if you cant get to the walll behind it. you gotta pull the tub.

working on the ptrap ? no, you have to pull the tub

depends..if you can get to it, the waste and overflow can be changed out..

pita, but can be done. after all, it was installed with the tub in place.

BUT. if you cant get to the walll behind it. you gotta pull the tub.

working on the ptrap ? no, you have to pull the tub

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain these things... thank you..

Latest posts

Back