Retrofitting P-Trap in tub drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcMike

Reaction score
The bathtub in my 50 year old home does not have a trap installed and occasionally some sewer gas smell comes through the drain. I would like to add a trap to prevent this and I have reasonably good access behind the tub, but not a lot of space between the drain tee and the pipe to the main bathroom drain to fit a P-trap the normal way facing away from the tub. (see photo - current drain on left, proposed plumbing on right)
kgxbFVK.jpg

As you can see there is currently a 90 elbow directly off the drain tee (where the trap should be) which then has a short run through a notched joist before another 90 elbow that feeds into the main drain pipe. Since there's no space between the tee and the elbow below it, I figure I'll probably have to cut out and replace the tee and then extend the cut pipes with couplers. Then, would it be acceptable to install a trap as I illustrated in order to avoid interfering with the joist? Since the existing notch in the joist is directly behind the tub drain, I'll probably have to widen it a little and maybe change the other 90 elbow to a 45 to better line up with the p-trap.

Any problems with this solution or alternate suggestions?

Thanks for looking phishfood. I just wan't 100% sure if it was okay to make all those bends after the trap, but it worked out ok, still drains well and no leaks! (not bad for my 1st real plumbing project.) Here is the finished result:
QoC0ega.jpg

Looks good mike, congrats on your completed plumbing job! Only thing I'd like to mention is what trap did u use ? If your enclosing he wall you can't use a union trap .. I just can't see that section of the ptrap....

Latest posts

Back