Replacing valve in single handle shower/tub issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbujal08

Reaction score
Hi. I only have hot water coming out of the shower. Assuming the valve went bad. So I figured I'd replace the fixtures while I have it taken apart for the repair. Whoever installed the acrylic tub surround did not cut the hole big enough for access to the valve. Without taking the entire shower surround off, I think I need to cut the hole bigger around the valve. What can I use to do this so I don't crack the acrylic? Since this should have been done properly before installation. I have no idea what I'm doing. Never done plumbing before so beginner here. Any suggestions are appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20210622_191115378.jpg
    IMG_20210622_191115378.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14
you don't have access or drywall behind it? Meaning a room behind that shower wall?

The pipe is mounted to a wood board on the side of the access panel. And it was screwed down from the shower side. I also am not confident in cutting the board and getting the right depth if I were to go that route and replace the whole valve.

Attachments

• IMG_20210622_190552417.jpg
    IMG_20210622_190552417.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
That looks like a Moen cartridge. Just replace that. Slide the silver sleeve off and pull that clip straight up and remove cartridge.
Well, that's what I'm trying for. I did pull the sleeve part off. And the clip is further back than the acrylic shower walls. So this is where I'm stuck. Now what? Something that should have been simple turned into a bigger problem for me I think. So frustrating!

You can tease the clip out with a small flat screwdriver and grab it with needle nose pliers.

But getting it back in later on will probably be tough.

You can easily cut a larger opening around that sleeve with a Rotozip bit, chucked into a drill running at high speed.

Just don’t go in too deep, and use your ears, eyes, and common sense not to chop up anything else while you are cutting with your drill.

The bit cuts as you apply sideways pressure to the spinning bit with your drill.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rotozip...s-and-Aluminum-Siding-2-Pack-XB-MP2/100349043

Look up Rotozip on Youtube to find some videos on how they work and cut.

Using their bits in a regular electric or battery drill cuts a lot slower, but it gets the job done without buying a new power tool.

Don’t press too hard sideways, be patient, wear eye protection, the bits can snap at random.

You can tease the clip out with a small flat screwdriver and grab it with needle nose pliers.

But getting it back in later on will probably be tough.

You can easily cut a larger opening around that sleeve with a Rotozip bit, chucked into a drill running at high speed.

Just don’t go in too deep, and use your ears, eyes, and common sense not to chop up anything else while you are cutting with your drill.

The bit cuts as you apply sideways pressure to the spinning bit with your drill.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rotozip...s-and-Aluminum-Siding-2-Pack-XB-MP2/100349043
Thanks! I'll look into that one. So afraid of cracking the shower walls while I'm trying to cut. And yes, being careful to not cut into anything else back there. Especially water lines.

Look up Rotozip on Youtube to find some videos on how they work and cut.

Using their bits in a regular electric or battery drill cuts a lot slower, but it gets the job done without buying a new power tool.

Don’t press too hard sideways, be patient, wear eye protection, the bits can snap at random.
Thank you!

PS I think the cartridge is a Moen Positemp.
You can find vids on how to remove and replace it on Youtube.
DO NOT buy Danco or any other knock offs, only genuine Moen.
Make sure the cartridge goes in with the H/C on top.

The better version of their multi tool is around forty bucks, but is multi speed variable.

You will use it and love it, so many impossible jobs that it can handle.

They make their money on the blades, which do not last long.

PS I think the cartridge is a Moen Positemp.
You can find vids on how to remove and replace it on Youtube.
DO NOT buy Danco or any other knock offs, only genuine Moen.
Make sure the cartridge goes in with the H/C on top.
I did buy Moen :) thanks!

Back